yes, some time ago, i made a pledge to help spread the word about yogamonth 2008. and i did post something about it some time later . but since then, i really haven't made a concerted effort to keep the buzz going, only because around here in los angeles, otherwise known as yoga central, every month IS yoga month.
in fact, i'm almost willing to say that EVERYDAY is yoga day in LA. there's always some local yoga studio that's celebrating something, be it a grand opening, an anniversary, a visit from a yoga master/guru/celeb, a new teacher, a new class, a new baby, a new book, a new movie screenplay -- hey, this is LA, after all!
so to make amends, i'm passing along some recent news. and i'll keep posting updates as they continue to come in. with the big event scheduled to start a little over a month from now, things are going to get fast and furious, so hang on to your yoga mat and enjoy the ride!
the biggest news comes from johannes fisslinger, president of the yoga health foundation:
I can not tell you how excited and inspired I am by the latest news: September is National Yoga Month!
during the month of september, many organizations will also be promoting awareness of other health concerns such as ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, infant mortality, and reye's syndrome. add to that cholesterol education, alcohol and drug addiction recovery, sports and home eye safety, healthy aging, as well as pediculosis/head lice prevention, and you can see that we're amongst good company :)
here's the latest on the yoga month celebrations that will be held around the country; click on the city name for more details:
10 CITY YOGA HEALTH FESTIVAL TOUR
All proceeds from Yoga Month and Yoga Health Festivals will benefit Youth Health Alliance and health education for underserved children.
Sunday/Monday August 24-25, 2008 at the Minsuk Pavilion in the City Park of Denver
OmPass and the Yoga Health Foundation have teamed up to present the first-ever Yoga Health Festival during a political convention to be held Aug. 24-25 in the City Park of Denver under the futuristic Pavilion for Public Discourse, a levitating, pneumatic structure creating a sculptural canopy.
Make a statement to the Nation at our National Yoga Month 09.2008 kickoff event during the Democratic National Convention. A bi-partisan festival to celebrate yoga, heatlhy and green living. Be inspired and motivated, learn from some of the best yoga teachers and health experts and enjoy festival activities:
• Workshops with Seane Corn, Hemalayaa, Hala Khouri, Simon Park + others
• Free lectures and demonstrations
• Over 65 yoga, health and green exhibitors
• Yoga for kids area and experiences
• Evening benefit concert with VH1's Artist on the Rise Justin Nozuka + surprise speaker
• Dance party with World DJ
$88 VIP-PASS includes preferred seating and unlimited access to all workshops, events and concert (reg. $ 179)
September 20-21, 2008 at Loyola Marymount University (LMU) West Los Angeles
Join thousands of health conscious people from all walks of life. Celebrate with us a healthy lifestyle. Children, families, seniors, celebrities, movie stars, yoga teachers and students - everyone will want to be there. Book your special events and workshop tickets early, they will sell out quickly.
Global Mala Sacred Movement and Music - Sunday 1-7pm
• Opening with Shiva Rea and Global Mala Team
• Kundalini Yoga with Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa.
• 108 Sun Salutations hosted by Shiva Rea, Seane Corn, Hala Khouri & SoCal Yoga Teachers from 108 studios-centers.
• Sacred Music with Donna De Lory, Govindas and Radha, Joey Lugassy, Saul David Raye, Suzanne Sterling, Wah!, Wade Imre Morrissette + others.
• Yoga Trance Dance ignited by Shiva Rea with DJ Dragonfly.
• Closing with 108 OM Chant with Global Mala Project Kirtan Members.
3,500 yogis and yoginis gathered and celebrated last year. Join us September 21 for an event you will never forget. See also www.globalmala.org.
Yogi Times Party and Concert - Saturday 6-10pm
• Do not miss the Party of the Year. Network, meet friends and have fun.
• Feel the vibe and enjoy organic food and drink samples.
• Featuring Lili Haydn the "Jimi Hendrix of the violin”, equal parts Kate Bush and Pink Floyd, with lyrics in search of peace and passion.
• And other music artists and surprise guests (TBD).
$ 108 VIP-PASS includes preferred seating and unlimited access at all events, workshops, yoga wear super sale, Global Mala Yoga for Peace Ritual and Saturday evening Yogi Times Charity Party and Concert (reg. $ 279).