Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:

urethra in vagina postpartum

Posted by YOYOYO

I gave birth 10 weeks ago and since then, I have a bulge at the vaginal opening. It is my urethra and is now sitting inside of my vagina and it also hangs down a few inches when I stand. Is this where is it supposed to be and how is this corrected? My husband and I tried to have sex but the loose urethra is being pushed up inside the vagina and it is quite painful.

I did have a 6 week check up with my OB and she said that it is normal for things to shift around during birth and that with time it may get better. I don't see how time can move things back where they should be. 

Answers (1)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first

This kind of thing is quite common after childbirth, and there is a Chinese Herbal remedy that can really help it resolve in most women.  You definitely don't have to just sit around waiting for it to get better.

Besides the obvious fact that there is a lot of strain and force on that area during delivery, childbirth can also be very depleting to a woman's energy, especially if the labor was long and difficult.  One type of energy that can get depleted is called "spleen qi" (not really related to your actual spleen).  One of the jobs of spleen qi is to hold your organs up and in their proper place.  If things haven't gone back to normal in your body, that energy needs to be supported more.

There is a great Chinese herbal formula called Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang in Chinese (Tonify the Middle and Augment the Qi Decoction).  Its main function is to boost that energy and help the body lift things into their proper place.  I've seen it do wonders for many women after childbirth.

You will probably need to consult an acupuncturist/herbalist to get a prescription.  (It's sometimes possible to find Chinese herbs over the counter, but some companies don't have good quality and safety controls, so I would go with the more reputable manufacturers, who all sell by prescription only).

Good luck, and let me know if you need help locating a practitioner!


NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Post an answer
Write a comment: