Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:

I was told I might have a abscess on my right ouaries. I can one in the past what should I do?

Posted by Wouldliketoknow

Answers (1)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first

Get treated appropriately immediately!  Ovarian abscess or tubo-ovarian abscesses (TOA) are typically a complication of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).  This condition is usually accompanied by pelvic pain, vaginal discharge, and/or fevers/sweats/chills.  A mass can sometimes be found during a bi-manual exam, certainly by ultrasound, whether pelvic or transvaginal.  Cervical motion tenderness is noted during the bi-manual exam due to movement of the pus pocket since the ovary is attached to the uterus via the Fallopian tubes.  If left untreated, TOA can lead to chronic pelvic pain, ectopic pregnancy, and/or infertility, possibly even death.  Whether you are hospitalized for antibiotics or treated as an outpatient depends upon a number of criteria that your physician can review with you.  But the main point is to get treated immediately!  Good luck!


By the way, the way to prevent TOA is the same as the way to prevent PID which is to use a condom each & every time you have sex to minimize your risk for sexually transmitted infections/diseases.  Birth control pils and the IUD (intra-uterine device) can help prevent pregnancy but they do nothing to prevent infections.  So use both (condom + birth control pill or IUD) to improve your odds.

NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Post an answer
Write a comment: