Exchange of rings: during the wedding ceremony the bride and groom exchange rings as a symbol of their love.
• Lighting a candle: lighting a candle by the bride and the groom symbolizes the union of the two people in a new family.
• First dance: at the wedding reception the couple will dance for the first time
Get together as husband and wife. After this dance the bride’s dance with her father usually follows, then the groom’s dance with his mother.
• Throwing seeds for luck: this tradition evolved from ancient Rome where throwing things, like grains or coins, was intended to bring good luck to the couple.
• Gift giving to guests: as a sign of gratitude, couples give guests small gifts, called “wedding favors”.
• Receiving wedding gifts: the family and friends give to the couple money or household items to help them build a new household.
American wedding traditions are a fun part of the festivities. Most American couples incorporate these common practices in their wedding to get a more traditional wedding.