Found a great post about what all diets have in common. Here's the main points... 1. Drink More Water. Every diet recommends drinking more water, usually around 8 glasses a day. Drinking more water helps to speed up your metabolism. 2. Eat Less. No matter how they slice it, every diet involved reducing the number of calories that you eat everyday. It's pretty clear that if you take in less than you burn, you will lose weight. 3. Move More. Exercise is a great way to burn calories. Plus it feels good, and the more muscle you have on your body, the faster your metabolism. 4. Make Better Food Choices. Replace the empty calorie foods with ones that are high in nutrients that your body needs. Most diets have you reducing the amount of fat (especially 'bad' fat) and increasing fiber from foods such as fruits & vegetables. 5. Get More Rest. Sleep helps give your body energy, and the lack of sleep deprives you of energy. Most people replace this energy by eating more. Not getting enough sleep can also slow your metabolism, so the food your eating is more likely to turn into fat in your body. Check out the original post at http://www.traviseneix.com/2007/05/09/the-top-5-things-all-diets-have-in-common/ Thanks Travis!
Alright... I'm thinking about all the fad diets and thinking that the one thing you should have added to your post is "what all HEALTHY diets have in common." Because all of the fad diets seem to just be crazy!
Alright, let's see if we can fit Atkin's diet into these principles.... maybe you and Travis are right, and maybe it will work.
1. Drink More Water. Atkins? Check. You have to drink tons of water to replace all that water the maltitol has made you pass. And you know what I'm talking about, you Atkin's people!
2. Eat Less. Atkins? Check. After you've eaten your weight in meat and cheese, you couldn't possibly have room in your stopped up intestines to store anything else. Trick? Stop eating.
3. Move more. Atkins? Check. When you are freaking out because you can't eat a bite of sugar and your body has switched into starvation mode, you will fly off the handle. That involves movement.
4. Make Better Food Choices. Atkins? hmmm.... starting to derail. Anyone want a piece of bacon?
5. Get More Rest. Atkins? Check! After all, when there are no carbs in your body, you can barely move. Of course you're gonna sleep it off.
Alright, you win. These principles work for almost every diet - including fads.