Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

The Calm After the Storm

Posted Oct 04 2009 10:00pm

Many of you will laugh of how I define "calm" but this weekend was exactly that for me. I had my fill of life stressors this summer. Selling a house, building a new one, starting a new job and dealing with the death of my father was more then enough. I’m not seeking a pity party but it was one rough summer. I’m not sure I knew what I was getting into when I started this whole process!

Let me see if I can start at the beginning of this fabulous weekend. No laughing at my definition of calm. :)

It all started Friday night after work when we met a big group of our friends at a local restaurant. Four couples, four kids ranging from 4 weeks to 4 years. It was fun! Afterwards we came home, put the little guy to bed and started to unpack the bedroom. We were on a mission, staying up late to finish a majority of the job.

I’m happy to report… We now actually have a bedroom! Yes! Who would have thunk such a simple thing would be make me so happy!

my new bedroom

Saturday morning I woke up early (thanks to the kid who knows we stayed up late.. HE JUST KNOWS) and I got right to work finally finishing the kitchen.

my new kitchen!

(notice the little guy stealing candy when I turn my back lol)

After a few other major milestones in unpacking the toddler and I ran out to run some errands. This is when I wish we have an unlimited stream of money to buy everything I want for the new house! Between Bed Bath and Beyond and Ikea I could easily spend my next paycheck in a matter of minutes. lol

Saturday night ended with a fabulous dinner with some old friends. Just "the girls." I ordered a veggie burrito and then the five of us shared some gourmet chocolate. Let me just say dark chocolate and bacon…. YUM! Milk chocolate and curry… not so much. :) Just read some of the combos here … very interesting and one square of each was more then enough. I can’t believe I’m saying that… I’ve been known to eat my weight in chocolate. Literally. These "gourmet" ones were so interesting and complex that too much just wasn’t good. Not sure if that makes sense but I don’t know how else to explain it.

OK, now here come the most amazing news ever…

Sunday started with a run. Not just any run but my last run before the marathon next weekend. My training pretty much dissolved when my Dad died. I tried hard to maintain at least one long run a week and even that was hard once we moved again.

It goes without saying I was/am EXTREMELY nervous to run 26+ miles especially since I’m not a "runner" (I still have a hard time labeling myself that) and I haven’t been training. So this morning I set off to run my longest run yet. Not for the physical aspect of it but for the mental. I needed to prove to myself I could do it.

And "do it" I did!

From house to destination was 10 miles. Once I got there I had to turn around and run back for a total of TWENTY MILES!

Equipped with a hand held water bottle and nothing else. I started with loads of energy. It was a week since my last run and I swear my body was craving physical activity.

The first 3 miles were pretty easy. Only one problem.. I had to pee. What can I say… bladder has never been the same since having a baby. So I stopped at a gas station and the cashier was nice enough to let me use the rest room.

A little while later, around mile 4, I witness something I never imagined I’d see outside of a nature shows on NatGeo. A hawk came swopping by me with some sort of critter in it’s claws. I watched as it flew across the street and out of site. I was awed. It was a strange site especially in the middle of a very populated suburb.

The next few miles were a blur. I was lost in thoughts and music. I was really enjoying the time to myself and I really just got lost in my mind. I needed that. I really needed that.

Soon I was approaching my landmark. See, I didn’t set out to run 20 miles. My goal instead was to run to a specific point. I was actually estimating it to be about 9 miles but to my surprise it was exactly 10.

At my midway point there was a Barnes and Noble’s, I snuck in to use the bathroom.. AGAIN. Told ya.. it’s just not the same. :) I also stopped at a 7-11 to fill my water bottle with some gatorade. I didn’t eat anything before hand so I was thinking some sugar and electrolytes would do me good.

I have to say I felt fabulous at this time. I was happy with myself for reaching my destination and I only stopped once to walk for about a minute to get there.I was so smitten I forgot to check my iPod before hitting the road again after my short break.

I ran and ran and ran so happy that I felt so good I was toying with the idea of not checking the distance. So I didn’t before I got tired. Then I hit the button and to my dismay the Nike+ voice said back to me "10 miles".

I was like… uh… no.. I hit the 10 mile mark like a half hour ago.

I didn’t realize that my pee break put the Nike+ on pause. Here I ran about 3 miles and it didn’t record a darn thing. I was more then disappointed. But I kept on running. I mean I didn’t really have a choice. I had to get home. :)

A couple of miles later I stopped to fill my water bottle one last time (I knew there were now more convenient places the last leg of the run.) This time with just water.

The next 3 miles I surprised myself. It wasn’t until about mile 17 that I really started to lose steam. Sure there were a couple of walk breaks mixed in but overall I was keeping a good pace. That is until the last mile.

I was out of water and out of energy. I would work myself up to a trot only to fizzle down to a walk within seconds. Physically I was tired. Mentally I was exhausted. I had a little pain in my right knee and to be honest, my ass cheeks were numb. lol It didn’t matter that I was getting close the endorphins didn’t kick in until I actually SAW the house. Then I kicked it up a notch.

I walked through the front door and said…. "Waaaater PLEASE!"

I was then greeted with a "Moooooommmy!" and a BIG hug. :)

I couldn’t ask for a better ending.

Immediately I tried to synch my iPod to get my stats minus the 3 miles I missed and to my dismay again, the iPod would not synch. I still can’t get it to synch. So I have no visual of the run or even the real time. I’m estimating it about about 4 hours and 15 minutes but I’m not sure. But I don’t really care and I don’t really care how long it takes me next weekend. The point is I can do it. I’m not an athlete. I’m not trying to break any records. I want to prove to myself that I can do anything. It doesn’t matter what people told me or what I grew up believeing. I am a strong, capable, motivated women and gosh darn it, I can do anything I set my mind to. (When I reread that I couldn’t get Stuart Smalley out of my head. lol)

THAT is what I’ll be taking with me next Saturday to the Baltimore Marathon and THAT is what will get me across the finish line.

After the run I hung out with the family a little bit before drawing a bath. It was wonderful to sit in a nice warm bubble filled tub. So wonderful I dosed off for about a half an hour until the little guy woke me up demanding Scooby. :)

So Scooby he got. (can I just say I LOVE that he loves scooby. We’ve got all the originals on DVD and it’s so much fun watching them with him.)

After a bit more relaxing I straightened up and cleaned the bathrooms. Never in my life did I think cleaning a bathroom would make me so happy but it did. It represented the shift from unpacking to living. We now have a home again! I can’t tell you how happy that makes me.

Once the husband was done working on the yard and I with the bathrooms we set off to a local farm for pumpkin picking and a hay ride. I swear the little guy is more excited about Halloween then Christmas! He’s been begging for a pumpkin for weeks!

After pumpkins we went out to dinner and did the grocery shopping based on my new white board planning approach…

the board

I haven’t hung it yet but this white board is going to have a prominent place in my new kitchen. I like the idea of looking ahead at the coming week. It’s comforting.

Once the groceries were put away it was bath and bed for the little guy and now I’m relaxing writing this and watching Mad Men.

So even though my weekend was jam packed it was jam packed with things that made me feel good, organized and prepared for the week and THAT is the calm after the storm I weathered this summer.

Don’t expect to hear from me consistently this week. I’ll be spending most of my free time working on FitBloggin. I hope to make some big announcements about speakers and presentations! There are lots of things in the works.

I will however be back to post about the marathon details including my running mix and final thoughts before the big day! Even though I know it’s going to be difficult I’m really looking forward to the experience.

Ok, I gotta run. Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches