- Aim for 10 (of your) fists of vegetables & fruits daily!!! Remember if you are attempting to lose fat, then be sure that about 6-8 of those fists are low carb vegetables and the other 2-4 are fruits and/or cooked starchy vegetables.
- As Canadians we have a few choices for the best quality vegetables and fruits. o 1) Fresh vegetables and fruits - You can enjoy locally grown fresh produce, so TAKE ADVANTAGE. You can even join a local CSA program ( http://csafarms.ca/index.html ). o 2) Frozen vegetables and fruits – a good second option, most of the nutrition is still present.
2) Meats, Poultry, Fish and Eggs
- The best choices are grass fed meats and free range poultry and eggs as these provide good levels of omega 3 fats, which are essential and are anti-inflammatory in nature.
- A good second choice is to choose the leanest cuts of regular farmed/mass-produced meats and poultry that you can. Also omega 3 eggs are a good second option to free range eggs.
- If you experience digestive upset with raw nuts, soak in water for 1-3 hours before eating.
- Choose “whole grain” whenever possible (legally only “whole grain” in the ingredients list means anything).
- We don’t really need these products either, if we are getting enough quality animal proteins, oils & dark green vegetables.
- If you consume dairy, choose certified organic or <2% products.
- Drink 2 cups before each meal & in between.
- Remove chlorine from water before drinking – using a filter system (e.g. Brita) is usually good enough.
- The only two supplements that we most likely need are:
8) Physical Activity
- Daily activity and consistency is key. There’s no better time to start than right now!
- Once to twice per week – lift heavy things!
- Once per week – move really fast!
- The rest of the time move slower but move & very often!!!