Happy Monday! I have a lot of fun things in the works this week, and I’m excited to share them with you as they happen. Look for some great posts this week. One thing I’ve been really lax on lately is reading and commenting on blog posts. I feel like ever since Google Reader announced its departure, my reading habits have been thrown a curve ball. So I plan to rectify that, beginning today.
But now let’s get on with this week’s topic.
If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!
FMM: 10 Things That Make Me Happy
1. First and foremost, my family. They are the people who forgive me at my worst and celebrate me at my best. They have been absolutely amazing in cheering my weight loss, and never shy away from complimenting me. I am the person I’ve become because of their guidance and unending support.
2. My friends. So many of the women that I consider my best friends are people I’ve known since high school. Friendships that last 24 years are solid friendships, to be sure. But I also feel really close to people that I’ve met much more recently, because sometimes you meet someone and you just click. You know the type of friendship I mean – the kind where you feel as if you’ve known the person your whole life. I value my friends and remain loyal to them through thick and thin. If you’ve heard the term “ride or die chick,” that’s who I am for my friends.
3. Sofi! You knew she was going to be in the top 3, didn’t you? This pup has brought unending joy and happiness into my life. She helps me live in the moment and to appreciate life’s special, little moments that I might otherwise miss. There’s nothing better than going on a long walk with Sofi.
4. Teaching. As much as I complain sometime about the workload/grading, I really do love what I do. I adore hearing from former students and knowing that I impacted their lives in a positive way. I enjoy watching them mature into bright, mature people who are ready to be contributing citizens. It sounds corny, but I am so lucky to be able to do what I love for a living. (Remind me of this in the middle of the semester when I’m drowning in honors essays, ok?).
5. A great pedicure. There’s really nothing like feeling like you toes look their best, especially in sandal season.
6. Reading. Not only does reading offer a much-needed escape from reality, but it often allows me to learn, grow, and expand my thoughts. From the moment I was taught how to decipher words on a page, I’ve loved reading, and I know that love will last with me forever.
7. Writing. This blog is my outlet, my creative space. A place where I share my thoughts and emotions, my dreams and my frustrations. Who knows if it will ever become something more, something greater. I’m just glad I have an ability to express myself through the written word.
8. The beach. I go to the beach as often as I can, and still it’s never enough. Someday I would love to retire to a small little cottage on the beach so that I could take morning walks along the ocean. How amazing does that sound? Believe it, be it, right?
9. Cooking. Over the years, I really have become someone who loves to cook for myself and for others. I love every aspect of it, from finding the perfect recipe, to planning the menu, to shopping, to chopping, to cooking, and tasting the final product. Cooking is another creative outlet for me, and it’s been so much fun adapting the foods and flavors I love into my new post-surgery lifestyle. I love a challenge! Food is a huge part of my Italian culture, so the fact that I’m able to carry on my family’s traditions through some of the meals I make brings me great joy.
10. Shopping! Whether it’s shopping for a gift for someone else, or adding to my own wardrobe, I adore shopping. I get a rush when I’m looking for that special something and find it. I’ve always loved the way that clothes make me feel about myself, but now that I’m seeing the results of my efforts on the scale, clothes are even better. I haven’t had any major shopping trips yet…but I’m biding my time until that first major shopping trip. I cannot wait.
11. (I know Kenlie asked for 10, but I just have to add this last one). Working out. Who would’ve thought that I would have written those words. But it’s so true. I love the feeling I get when I tackle a new fitness milestone. And the sense of accomplishment that comes when a really good workout is over. I even love the way my heart pounds out of my chest as I try to match the tempo of my workout tunes while I’m on the elliptical machine. I love the way working out feeds my competitive nature. I know fitness is going to be my hobby/obsession from here on out. As things get easier to accomplish because my overall health is improving, I know I’ll try to overcome bigger challenges.
Now it’s your turn to answer the questions! And also be sure to go back to Kenlie’s blog and leave a link to your FMM post in the comments! I really encourage you to comment on as many people’s posts as you can – I’ve met some fantastic people through FMM. You never know who you’ll meet today.