5 Kick-Ass Workouts That Can Be Done In Under 8 Minutes
Posted Nov 25 2008 10:02am
Time is of the essence. A cliche for sure, but oh so true. Not having the time to workout is one of the most common excuses people use to let their fitness levels deteriorate. The five workouts that follow will not only crank your metabolism into a fat burning furnace, but they can also be done in 8 minutes or less. Some of them much less.
1. Tabata Sprints - Find a track or a long straight road. Run as fast as you can for 20 seconds. And I mean HAUL ASS! Walk for 10 seconds. Repeat 8 times. You might want to arrange for a ride home from this one. I’m serious. If you do this with maximum effort you should be seeing stars and begging for mercy. Total time: 4 minutes.
2. Burpee - Push Up Opposing Ladders: Do 9 burpees, then do 1 push up. Do 8 burpees, then do 2 push ups. Do 7 burpees, then do 3 push ups. You get the picture. Continue until you complete burpees 9 through 1 and push ups 1 through 9. Do not underestimate this one. It’s a BITCH! Total time: 5 - 8 minutes depending on fitness level. Reduce the number of repetitions as needed according to your current state of fitness.
3. Deadlift - Box Jump: Load a bar with 60% of your current 1 rep max on the deadlift. Deadlift for 10 repetitions, then immediately hit a 20 inch plyo box for 20 box jumps. Repeat the cycle three times. Total time 4 - 8 minutes. Your legs will love you for this one.
4. Squat - Pull Up: Load a bar with 60% of your current 1 rep max on the back squat. Squat for 10 repetitions, then immediately hit the pull up bar for maximum repetitions. Kip your ass off on the pull ups if you want. Repeat for 3 - 5 sets with little or no rest between sets depending on fitness level and time available. Total time 5 - 8 minutes.
5. Power Clean and Press - Load the bar with a weight you can use for about 12 repetitions until muscle failure. Perform as many reps as possible in 8 minutes. Rest as needed but work as hard as you can for the 8 minutes. Record your number of repetitions and try to increase the reps in 3 - 5 weeks.
Don’t have enough time to work out? Lame. You can get a great workout in during the time it takes to watch the commercials for your favorite reality TV show. Kick the “no time” excuse to the curb and get started today with one of the 5 kick-ass fat burning workouts that can be done in under 8 minutes.
Editor’s note: This is a guest article by Vic from Gym Junkies. Gym Junkies is a hard core, intense method of training. They provide videos, iPod workouts, and great articles.