Walking is a great way to exercise -- it's easy, doesn't need any fancy equipment, and can be done almost anywhere. All you need are a good pair of walking shoes. Here a a few things to keep in mind when going shoe-shopping.
1. For a really good-fitting shoe, try visiting an athletic shoe store.
2. If you want to walk, don't buy shoes for basketball or tennis because they are usually designed for side-to-side movement. Instead, go for walking shoes or running shoes that support back-to-front movement.
3. Different styles and brands have different sizes. So don't go by the marked size on the shoes. Always try them on to check how well they fit.
4. Perfect fitting shoes should have enough room for you to wiggle your toes freely, but they should not be so loose that your feet slide around in them.
5. For better fitting shoes, go shopping in the evening. Why? Because feet swell the longer we stand on them. So feet are usually longer at the end of the day. Buying shoes in the evening means you end up with a better fit.
6. If you are planning to wear socks, have a pair on while trying on your shoes.
7. Choose shoes that match the shape of your feet.
8. Finally, before purchasing, put on both the shoes and walk around the store. If they feel good, go ahead and buy them.