Reviewing The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged Book, By Tosca Reno (Robert Kennedy Pub/2009)
Posted Mar 11 2010 5:07pm
Finally, a book for people who are just starting to learn about how to eat clean food and lose weight. The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged! is by far one of Tosca Reno's best books with loads of real food tips, exercises for not so active people, and straight forward, detailed, easy to follow info about the Eat-Clean Diet philosophy.
Tosca states that she did not develop the concept of Clean Eating, still she does a good job with living it and helping us see how we could live the same!
About Tosca Reno
At age 40, author Tosca Reno found herself miserable, overweight, stuck in an unhappy marriage, and living an unfulfilled life. She was able to turn her life around and is now a successful author, motivational speaker and wellness consultant, media personality and model. Tosca has penned ten books, including the incredibly successful Eat-Clean Diet® series, has appeared on numerous national television and radio programs and now travels across North America appearing at book signings and seminars to deliver her message of health, wellness and inspiration.
Tosca was on Good Morning America on February 12, 2010 discussing Eat-Clean Diet® recipes for under $10. In the segment with Tanya Rivero, Tosca prepares the Spanish Potato Omelet and Eat Clean Fajitas from Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Cookbook and the Thai Basil Brown Rice and Herb Marinated Grilled Lamb Chops from The Eat-Clean Diet® Recharged!
Watch the clip here !
The book is well written for all, especially for people without fitness or nutrition backgrounds. You will learn how your body responds to real food and what you can eat, no matter where you are or how busy you are. It is unique with it's glossy pages, inspiring pictures and 'Dear Tosca' letters from people who are trimmer and fitter from eating clean.
This is not a diet book that tells you to move more and eat less. Though, you will find a chapter just for exercise and fitness tips all through the book. The exercise tips are especially helpful for folks that have not exercised for a while and have doubts about their ability.
Tosca explains a formula she believes is key to reworking your physique to look like one you would admire.
Body beautiful/ Body Healthy Formula
80% Nutrition + 10% Training + 10% Genetics = Body Beautiful / Body
You read that right, she says that it's actually 80% nutrition that shapes a lean healthy body. What a concept and what if it worked for you... Wouldn't it be wonderful to finally take back your body with the 80% of the results coming from great nutrition? I think so....and I think a lot of burned out dieters will see results using Tosca's eat-clean diet resources.
How this book helps you to get fat burning results:
Eat more food and eat more often (eat more to lose weight)
Eat more does not mean eat more of the same junk or processed food we have grown used to eating. You will eat smaller meals of lean protein and complex carbs every 3 hours, about 6 small meals a day. Eating every three hours keeps you satisfied without cravings for sweets and processed snacks.
Breakfast is skipped for many people trying to lose weight. Don't do it! Tosca teaches why breakfast is so important for fat burning and gives examples of her oatmeal breakfast loaded with superfoods.
What to eat
The eat-clean diet suggests foods for everyone, even vegans and vegetarians. You will eat foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. Such as, fresh produce, eggs, healthy fats, whole grains, beans, seafood and lean meats. We learn a bit about organic produce and wild caught seafood, grass-fed meats and poultry for weight loss.
A few superfoods that may become a staple food for you include, flax seeds, fermented foods such as tempeh, miso, yogurt or kefir, grass-fed meats, mung beans, cayenne pepper, garlic, leafy greens, quinoa, coconut oil and wild caught seafood.
Water is your weight loss friend
Drink a glass of water when you are having a craving to determine if you are thirsty before heading to the pantry! Staying hydrated will boost your metabolism by as much as three percent.
Meal Plans and Food Shopping
The chapter on meal plans and grocery lists makes shopping and menu planning easier. Tosca helps with ideas on what foods to take along when you are away from home. It's like packing a lunch or picnic. Also use the food idea menus for family meals, gluten-free food, vegan, and vegetarians.
With 50 recipes it's easy to find meals, meats, side dishes, breakfast and even desserts. The pictures of the food are beautiful! The ingredients should be easy to find in most areas or from online sources.
Find Tosca's recipe books in the Eat-Clean Diet series:
* No calorie or carb counting (eat only healthy complex carbs.)
* No sugar or artificial sweeteners.
* She doesn't eliminate entire food groups.
* Explains the importance of healthy fats in the diet.
* Helps you to learn how what you eat affects your health making it easier for you to want to eat more high-nutrient real foods.
* Takes time to teach about portion control without calorie counting.
* Includes sample meal plans to please different tastes, goals and needs of individuals.
* Includes vegetarian and vegan resources.
* Is very easy to make eating clean food a long-term approach to healthy eating.
* For the folks afraid they can't exercise Tosca gives lots of tips for starting your exercise program. Nothing big to start with, just start.
Things To Keep In Mind:
* Drink lots of water!
* Be patient but don’t give up!
* Weight and inches might not fall off very fast. About 2 pounds a week is normal.
* Your metabolism may be damaged from yo-yo dieting, skipped meals and other reduced calorie diet plans so it will take time to have an efficient, fat-burning metabolism but it will happen with real clean food.
* You will spend time with planning meals, looking for recipes, checking ingredients, shopping for fresh foods etc.
* Depending on where you live, it could take a bit of foraging for some of the foods suggested. Keep at it to take back your body.
* Clean out your pantry, dump all prepared foods, most boxed foods, chips, sweets and even the Cherrios (hidden sugar!)
* It might be difficult at first to eat enough, especially if you are the type who doesn't think about eating so you eat because you have to. Yes there are people like this :)
All in all I think this book will benefit people who realize counting calories, drinking diet shakes, popping diet pills or starving is not working for fat burning. It is not a one size fits all and not all people will lose weight. The book is not extreme with what foods to eat so it is a good place to start learning. There are so many "clean foods" that offer great fat burning and health benefits - that is why I say this book is good for a starting place.
Bonus reads about non-threatening exercise - extending and improving your life - getting rid of cellulite - combating the harsh effects of menopause - getting and staying motivated and information on eating disorders.