Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

How To Contact FDA About Bad Food-Drugs-Cosmetics-Pet Food

Posted Oct 22 2008 4:37pm

With the latest tomato salmonella outbreaks and many other food-drug-pet food recalls this year I wanted to share information on how to contact the FDA.

Tips for Reporting
1. Report what happened as soon as possible after you discover a problem. Be prepared with the following information:

names, addresses, and phone numbers of people affected
your name, postal and e-mail address, and phone number
name, address, and phone number of doctor or hospital if emergency treatment was provided
product codes or identifying marks on the label or container
name and address of store where product was bought and date of purchase
name and address of company on the product label

2. Do not discard the product packaging and labeling. They provide codes, numbers, and dates that will help FDA trace the product back to the plant.

3. In addition to reporting to FDA, the agency recommends reporting the problem to the manufacturer and to the store where the product was purchased.

4. When in doubt about how to report a problem, call your local FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator listed at

FDA Guide For Making Reports

If you have a complaint about a product regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the agency wants to hear about it.

FDA offers a number of ways to report a complaint. Two of the main reporting systems available to consumers are the Consumer Complaint Reporting system and MedWatch.

1. Consumer Complaint Reporting
FDA's Consumer Complaint Coordinators (CCC's) located in FDA offices throughout the United States and Puerto Rico will listen, document your complaint about an FDA-regulated product, and follow up as necessary. Consumers should report problems to the CCC for their geographic region. (See the accompanying list of CCC's. The list is also on FDA's Web site at

Some examples of complaints that your CCC wants to hear about are
food-related illnesses, especially when a specific food is suspected
allergic reactions when a person has a known allergy to a food ingredient not identified on the product label
problems related to infant formula
problems related to baby food
swollen or leaking canned goods
suspected product tampering
adverse events after taking dietary supplements
problems related to prescription or over-the-counter medications
problems related to pet food and treats

Reporting Problems Can Spur Action
If a person reports an illness or injury that appears likely to be caused by an FDA-regulated product, FDA acts immediately. Depending on the seriousness of the problem, an FDA investigator may visit the person who made the complaint, collect product samples, and initiate inspections.

"Just a few complaints can make a difference," says Joan Trankle, FDA's National CCC. For example:

CCC's in different parts of the country received three reports of allergic reactions to a type of soymilk. FDA followed up with an inspection of the soymilk company. The product did not declare the allergenic substance, milk protein, on the label, and the company recalled the product.

CCC's received two complaints in one week about skin burns after use of an adhesive patch that generates heat to relieve muscle and joint pain. "When that second complaint arrived, we sprang into action," says Trankle. "We contacted the firm and, based on our follow-up, the firm recalled the product."

Complaints of a less serious nature, or those that appear to be isolated incidents, are monitored and the information is used during a future inspection of a company to help FDA identify problem areas in a production plant. The complaints are also discussed with company management during these inspections.


FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinators / Regions and Telephone Numbers
(as of April 30, 2008)

Alabama 866-289-3399
Alaska 425-483-4949
Arizona 949-608-3530
Arkansas 214-253-5200, ext 5233
California (Northern) 510-337-6741
California (Southern) 949-608-3530
Colorado 303-236-3044
Connecticut 781-596-7700
Delaware 215-597-9064
District of Columbia 410-779-5713
Florida 866-337-6272
Georgia 404-253-1169
Hawaii 510-337-6741
Idaho 425-483-4949
Illinois 312-353-7840
Indiana 313-393-8100
Iowa 913-752-2440
Kansas 913-752-2440
Kentucky 513-679-2700, ext 124
Louisiana 866-289-3399
Maine 781-596-7700
Massachusetts 781-596-7700
Michigan 313-393-8100
Minnesota 612-758-7221
Mississippi 866-289-3399
Missouri 913-752-2440
Montana 425-483-4949
Nebraska 913-752-2440
Nevada 510-337-6741
New Hampshire 781-596-7700
New Jersey 973-331-4917
New Mexico 303-236-3044
New York 866-446-9055
North Carolina 404-253-1169
North Dakota 612-758-7221
Ohio 513-679-2700, ext 124
Oklahoma 214-253-5200, ext 5233
Oregon 425-483-4949
Pennsylvania 215-597-9064
Rhode Island 781-596-7700
South Carolina 404-253-1169
South Dakota 612-758-7221
Tennessee 866-289-3399
Texas 214-253-5200, ext 5233
Utah 303-236-3044
Vermont 781-596-7700
Virginia 410-779-5713
Washington 425-483-4949
West Virginia 410-779-5713
Wisconsin 612-758-7221
Wyoming 303-236-3044
Puerto Rico & U.S. Virgin Islands 800-332-0127

Full information on reporting all FDA regulated products at FDA Website

For When You Just Can't Eat Right, Visit Whole Food Nation - Pops
Email Robin Here

Subscribe to Whole Food And More

Things to know about your daily vitamin before you buy
Find Grass Fed-Meat
Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches