Wanna have a baby? Here are a few steps to take that could improve the odds of becoming pregnant and moving into the first trimester healthfully.
1. Avoid exposure to pesticides, paints, solvents, and other products containing harmful chemicals that can impair fertility. Tip: eat organic whenever possible.
2. Men, make sure you're getting enough Vitamins C, E, B-12, folic acid, selenium, zinc, and lycopene (found in tomatoes, for one), all of which are beneficial to men's fertility. Women, take folic acid (liver, green vegetables, whole grain cereals) before trying to conceive and during pregnancy. Doctors often recommend a 300 to 400 mcg daily supplement, which can also reduce the risk of birth defects such as spina bifida.
3. Try acupuncture, which may improve blood supply to reproductive organs and help decrease stress. For men, it may boost sperm count and quality.
4. Traditional Chinese Medicine, which uses a combination of acupuncture, herbs, and other techniques as fertility treatment is another beneficial option.
5. Practice! The more you play, the better your odds of winning!