Mixed Vegetables and Tofu in Lime Ginger Sauce (Vegan, Gluten Free)
Posted Sep 20 2010 12:00am
It's South Asian night at my home with this sweet lime ginger tofu stir fry. I used string beans, red and green peppers, baby corn and broccoli, but you can use what ever veggies you prefer. The tofu is lightly fried to a crispy outside and a moist center that just explodes with a symphony of sweet ginger and garlic and punch of lemon and lime. Tofu is one of those legumes that just absorbs flavor like a sponge and can be morphed into anything you embrace it with. Serve over hot jasmine rice and reserved marinade.
INGREDIENTS 1 16-oz package extra-firm, water-packed tofu 1 (12-oz) bag Fresh Stir Fry Veggie Medley (or cut your own – whatever veggies you like!) 2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil (any light-tasting oil) 1-1/2 tablespoons water
Marinade 1/4 cup lemon juice 1/4 cup lime juice 1/2 cup soy sauce (Gluten Free) 1/2 cup brown sugar 1 teaspoon minced garlic 1 teaspoon minced ginger 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1. Drain tofu; cut into 6 slices width-wise. Press tofu for at least 30 minutes, preferably 1 hour.
2. Mix ingredients for marinade; Cook over low heat in a saucepan and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Reserve approx 2/3 cup for sauce, 1/3 cup for actual marinade.
3. Cut pressed tofu into cubes (6 cubes per slice). Place in a glass dish or plastic zipper bag; pour the 1/3 cup of marinade over the tofu. Marinate for at least 1 hour; preferably 4-6.
4. Heat 2 TBSP oil in large skillet or wok over medium/medium-high heat. Remove tofu from marinade.
5. Make sauce: Add reserved marinade to a saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil; boil for 2 minutes to reduce a bit and concentrate the flavors. Continue to stir until sauce starts to thicken; reduce to low heat. Sauce should lightly coat the whisk.
6. Cook Tofu: Add tofu to hot pan, being careful to not overcrowd. You’ll probably need to do it in 2 batches. Resist the urge to touch your tofu cubes until they are golden brown on one side – then use tongs to flip. Once golden brown on both sides, remove from pan. Add veggies to pan (you might need to add a bit more oil) and stir-fry until bright and tender-crisp.
7. Combine: Return tofu to pan with veggies. Add enough sauce so that everything is lightly coated, but not drowning in sauce.