In keeping with my recent theme of quick and healthy meals (with greens), here is an Italian dish that is delicious in its simplicity.
- 450g whole wheat rotini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup marsala, or red wine
- 1 15 oz can canellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 oz can can diced tomatoes (juice and all)
- basil (fresh or dried) to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach (or more)
1. Cook pasta in salted water until just about done (leave it a bit underdone so it can suck up the sauce).
2. While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion for 5-7 mins, until translucent. Add garlic and sauet 1 min more.
3. Add wine and beans and mix well. Let bubble and reduce for a few mins. Add tomatoes and mix well. Season to taste with basil and salt and pepper.
4. Drain pasta and return to pot. Return pot to medium heat. Add in sauce and spinach. Bring to bubbling and let cook for 8-10 mins, or until pasta and spinach has fully cooked and sauce has reduced. Serve.