2. This recipe I came up with - and it's raw to boot!
Lindsay's Cashew Cheesy Cheese
Great on top of crackers, added to a sauce to make it creamy, or enjoyed plainly with a very large spoon!
1-1/2 c. raw cashews
1/4 c. water
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 c. nutritional yeast
3 garlic cloves
Splash of salt
Start with 1 c. of cashews and place all of the ingredients in a Vitamix or Food Processor and mix until completely smooth. Add more water if it's too thick, and add more cashews if it's too thin.
"Cows are excellent mothers who are very loving and protective of their calves—they even take turns babysitting for each other! And despite their size, cows have been known to jump fences to search for lost calves."
4. This not-so-kiss-worthy fact: Female cows on dairy farms are continuously made pregnant so that they can produce milk for us, even though their babies are the ones who need their mama's milk. So if you think about it, we are stealing milk from a baby. There's something so wrong about that picture...
5. Loving your cheese or ice cream is actually an addiction, folks, much like being addicted to caffeine or alcohol. Don't believe me? Pick up a copy of Skinny Bitch (or Skinny Bastard ) and learn more for yourself.
6. Coconut Bliss , Purely Decadent Coconut Milk Ice Cream, and all the other deeeeelicious vegan ice creams out there on the market.
7. Speaking of coconuts, homemade coconut milk whipped cream with a little vanilla extract mixed in. On top of vegan pumpkin pie. Pure joy.
8. Dairy, like all animal-based foods, is filled with heart-clogging cholesterol. Yuck!
9. You know what's not filled with heart-clogging cholesterol? Soy Milk, Almond Milk, Rice Milk, Hemp Milk. Even Hazelnut Milk!
11. We're the only species on Earth who continues consuming milk past being a baby and from another species. Crazy, but true - and definitely not necessary!
12. You CAN live a life of joy without cow's - or goat's, or any other animal's - milk! This blog is living proof of that.
13. This kick-butt list of plant foods that contain mucho amounts of calcium: Almonds!Collard Greens!Rhubarb!Spinach!Figs! Sesame Seeds!Tofu!Kale! Fortified non-dairy milk! The list goes on and on...
Need more convincing? Click here to check out more calcium-dense plant foods.
14. Once you kick dairy to the curb, your taste buds will come alive. Which means even brussel sprouts will taste yummy!
Okay friends - I know how difficult a process eliminating dairy from your diet can be. But it is possible. I've done it, many of my friends and family have done it, celebrities have done it, doctors have done it, athletes too - the list goes on. So you - yes, YOU! - can do it too. Chooseveg.com is a great place to start your journey. And of course, you can always email me if you feel really stuck. Now, get going on your dairy-free journey, and celebrate this awesome, empowering change!