Tonight's recipe idea comes from Jen, one of my bakery customers (thanks, Jen!). It is so easy and such a great idea I can't believe I haven't seen it before. I also wish I had thought of it myself. Ha! The dough is adapted from Isa's pizza dough in Vegan With a Vengeance, which she is letting me post here (thanks, Isa!). It tastes even better if you make it the day before and let it rest in the fridge overnight.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat bread flour
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- tomato sauce
- your favourite pizza toppings
1. Mix sugar into the water and stir in yeast to dissolve. Set aside for 10 mins to proof.
2. Whisk together flours and salt in a bowl, then add yeast mixture and oil. Bring together into a soft dough, then knead on a floured surface for 8-10 mins, until smooth. Add in flour if dough is too sticky.
3. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled. Punch dough down and knead for a few mins, then return to the bowl. Let double again, or place in the fridge to use the next day.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly oil a muffin tin. Roll dough into a large rectangle, 24" x 8". Slather with a layer of tomato sauce, followed by your toppings.
5. Roll up like a jelly roll, then slice into twelve 2" sections. Place into muffin tins. Bake for 12-15 mins, or until golden and baked through. Let cool for 10 mins before serving.