I am blogging from the back porch! We have had spectacular weather the past few days: sunny and low 20s. It is amazing to think that last weekend we had a snow storm. You'd think it was summer around here with everyone doffing their winter clothes for shorts and T-shirts. The lawn is now raked, some seeds are in the garden, and Son #2 has a sun burn on the back of his neck. And, of course, I once again experimented with turning my BBQ into a tandoori oven to make naan. I have never had good luck with naan in the past, but this time was different. The high heat of the BBQ puffed the bread nicely and gave it a wonderful texture. Mission accomplished!
Makes 6 large, or 8 medium, naan
- 1/2 cup warm soy milk
- 4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp finely ground flax seed - 6 tbsp water
- pinch of sugar
- 4-5 cups white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup plain soy yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
1. Using a whisk, dissolve yeast into warm soy milk with sugar. You may need to let the yeast sit in the milk a bit before it all dissolves in. Set aside for 10 mins.
2. Whisk flax into water. Set aside for a few mins.
3. Sift flour and salt together into a large bowl. Add in yeast mixture (by this time it should be a thick foam), oil, soy yogurt, water, and flax mixture (it should have thickened by now--whisk it a few times before adding). Add in enough of the flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 10 mins, until smooth and elastic.
4. Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let rise for about 40-50 mins, until doubled in bulk.
5. Divide dough into 6 or 8 pieces and roll into an oval shape about 1/4 inch thick. Bake on a hot ceramic stone for 3-4 mins, until puffed and browned (see note below).
1. Place a square ceramic pizza stone on top of 4 soup cans on top of your BBQ grill. Make sure you can still close the BBQ lid. Cut cans down a bit with a hacksaw if need be (or get shorter cans).
2. Heat up grill on high for at least 15 mins to allow stone to heat up.
3. Bake naan on hot stone with lid closed so that the hot air can circulate.