Seated cable row Bent Over Dumbbell Row With 2 dumbbells, bend at waist-keeping a straight back-pull weights up from in front of you to your sides while squeezing shoulder blades together. Performed all 3 sets with 5kg weights.
- Underhand Cable Pulldown Another old favourite of mine from NROLFW. Using the lat machine, with a narrow underhand grip, pull cable down to chest and slowly release to top. Performed all 3 sets with 20kg weights.
- Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl Keeping elbows close to sides, hold 2 dumbbells with palms facing thighs. Curl weights as you rotate palm to face forward, reverse the twisting movement as you lower weight, alternate each side. Performed 3 sets with 5kg weights, although lowered to 4kg for the last couple of reps of set 3.
- One Armed Dumbbell Preacher Curl Performed on a swiss ball. Kneel on one knee with swiss ball in front of you. Hold dumbbell in opposite arm to bent knee, with elbow on swiss ball, arm bent to 45 degrees and slowly extend. Performed with 4kg weights for all 3 sets, and last few reps of set 3 with 3kg.
Standing biceps cable curl Standing Dumbbell Curl With feet together, and pair of dumbbells at your side-palms facing up-slowly curl the weights up as far as possible, squeeze and lower. Performed with 4kg weights throughout and the last few reps of set 3 with 3kg weights.
Wow, this day was tough! A much longer workout at 44 minutes, and I had to lower the weights for the last few reps of some of the moves in the last set as I physically couldn’t lift the weight! Definitely a tough workout!
Day 3- Legs/Calves
I was looking forward to training legs today, as they are probably my favourite body part to train, and my upper body was killing after the first 2 days!
Leg pressDumbbell Goblet Squat Both hands on one end of a dumbbell held vertically in front of chest, perform a squat with feet slightly wider than shoulder width. Performed with 7kg weight.
- Leg extension- I’ve never used this machine before, but it killed my quads! Performed with 10kg weight.
Wide stance barbell squatPlie Dumbbell Squat My gym doesn’t have barbells, which is the only thing I really miss, as I love performing squats and deadlifts! Hold dumbell at base with both hands, with legs wider than shoulders and toes facing outwards, squat. Performed with 7kg weights.
Seated leg curlSwiss Ball Hip Raise/Leg Curl This move absolutely killed me! So tough! Lie face up on floor with your lower legs and heels on ball, push hips up to form a straight line from shoulders to knees and pull heels towards you, rolling the ball towards you and reverse. 3 sets of 12 reps.
Standing calf raisesStanding Dumbbell Calf Raise Stand with the ball of your feet on a block or board (about 2-3 inches high), with 2 dumbbells at your side, raise heels off floor, squeezing calf muscles. Performed 3 sets with 7kg weight.
Seated calf raise Dumbbell Seated One Leg Calf Raise Place the ball of your foot on a block on the floor about 12 inches from bench, sit with dumbbell on upper thigh, and raise your toes up, contracting your calf. 3 sets with 9kg weight.
This workout took around 35 minutes, although I had to substitute a lot of the moves of this one, I still felt like I got a really good workout in, and that the moves where targeting the correct areas.
Day 4- Shoulders/Abs
- Seated Dumbbell Press- Sit on a bench with back support, and lift dumbbells up to shoulder height, rotate wrists so palms face forward and push up until weights meet at top. Performed 3 sets with 3kg weights.
- Standing Dumbbell Straight Arm Front Delt Raise To A ‘T’ Palms facing thighs, raise dumbbells to arms length overhead and lower to a T position. Performed 3 sets with 3kg weights.
- Side Lateral Raises With palms facing sides, lift dumbbells to side, keeping a slight bend in elbows and hands tilted slightly forward. Performed 3 sets with 2kg weights.
- Seated Bent Over Rear Delt Raise Sit on bench with legs together and dumbbells on floor behind calves. Bend at waist, keeping a straight back, and grab dumbbells with palms facing each other, arms slightly bent at elbows, and lift to side until arms are parallel to the floor. 3 sets with 2kg weights.
Seated bent over rear delt raise
- Swiss Ball Crunch Curve on lower back on swiss ball, arms crossed over chest, curl up and crunch. 3 sets of 12 reps
- Air Bike Lie on floor with hands beside head, start in a crunch position with legs raised parallel to the floor, slowly pedal, kicking forward opposite leg and bringing knee and opposite elbow to crunch. Performed 12 each side for 3 sets of 24 reps. This started to burn as I got to the last few reps!
This workout took just under 30 minutes, and was really tough. I had to use really low weights as my shoulders just aren’t very strong! I enjoyed doing the abs moves, although I wish there was more core work throughout the program.
So that was it for week 1, 4 workouts done! The workouts are the same for week 2, so I will update on that stage next week! Overall, I really enjoyed the first week, I found the workouts tough and challenging but was glad they were short and quite varied too. I clearly need a lot of work on my shoulders, which I didn’t realise were quite so weak until day 4! The trainer had 3 rest days planned, but I took active ones with some gentle cycling and walking thrown in to keep the body moving.
What is your favourite body part to train?
Do you use the weight machines or just the free weights?
Do you prefer to follow a program or come up with your own workouts?