Last Thursday my boyfriend Mikey and I celebrated 7 years together. To me it seems like ive known him ever since I can remember, we were only 17 when we met, but weve grown closer and closer ever since.
Have you heard of jelly cakes? I hadn't until Mikey's grandma made them not too long ago, and he has been asking me to make them ever since. I thought what better time to suprise Mikey with jelly cakes.
I searched for a Jelly Cake recipe and found this one.I changed it to include no animal products and ended up with this recipe: Jelly Cakes (makes approx 12)
90g margarine 3/4 C caster sugar Organ No Egg equal to 1 1/2 eggs 1 1/2 C Self-raising flour 1 C rice milk 1 packet non-gelatin jelly 3 C desiccated coconut 1/2 C soyatoo cream
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a 12 cake patty pan. - Using an electric mixer, cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add no egg, a little at a time, beating until well combined. Using a large spoon, gently fold in half the flour and half the milk. Repeat with remaining flour and milk. - Spoon mixture into patty pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool cakes on a wire wrack. - Once cakes are cool, cut each in half horizontally and spread approx 1 teaspoon cream over one side and then sandwich cakes back together. - Make jelly, mixing jelly crystals with hot water. Place coconut in a bowl. - Using a slotted spoon, when the jelly has cooled (so not to melt the cream) lower a cake into the jelly coating all sides and draining excess jelly, immediately toss in the coconut. Repeat with remaining cakes. - Refrigerate for an hour.
I started off using a heart shaped cookie cutter to shape the cakes before dipping in jelly (as you can see in the first photo), but it was wasting too much cake so I decided to leave them as is. I also topped them with some cream and a little heart. Mikey enjoyed them, and my mum kept trying to sneek a cake.
I also made him a card which you can see in the above photo. I wasn't really happy with how it turned out so im not going to show you a close up :)
During the day Mikey wanted to take me up to the Adelaide hills to go to Warrawang Wildlife Sanctuary which is in Stirling. We had a lovely time,first we had lunch in the little cafe overlooking the park and surrounded by animals and birds. Then we took a walk around the sanctuary, there were possums, cockatoos, turtles, rosellas, kangaroos, koalas, finches, ducks and more! Its very peaceful and pretty there, while we were walking around we thought wouldnt it be great to have a little cottage right in the middle of the park, it would be just perfect! Here are some of the photos we took.
There were a few kangaroos luying around. Two of them (on the left) were having a bit of a fight which was pretty funny to watch.
We saw about 4 koalas, can you spot the one in the middle of the photo below?
The picture below is what remains of 'Stone's Cottage'. It was built in 1897 and the man who built it actually had a market garden where the rainforest part of the sanctury is. What a wonderful place to live.
Finally, I have been tagged by Trishiekoh from Under Lock and Key. I have never done one of these types of tags before, but I always like finding out more about my fellow bloggers when they fill out tags like this one.
Tag Part 1
1. What books are on your favourite shelf? Lots of cookbooks and nursing text books, The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter, The Twilight series.
2. What DVDs are on your favourite shelf? Dirty Dancing, Twilight, Chocolat, Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, Pilates TV DVD’s, Jeff Buckley concert, Christina Aguilera concert.
3. What are your two favourite cookbooks? Vegetarian Bible and How it all Vegan.
4. What will we be drinking that's available? Waterfords Mineral Water, Chambord, juice, champagne.
5. Select 1-3 recipes you will cook for your special guests. Cumin Pumpkin Soup Potato Gnocchi with sage and vegetables Apple Crumble
Tag Part 2
10 random things 1. I love shopping…too much! I have trouble getting clothes into and out of my closet.
2. I finally finish my Nursing degree in December. And will start working as a Registered nurse early next year.
3. I have a younger, almost 20 year old, annoying, stinky brother.
4. My bf and I hope to buy a house at the end of next year. We both still live at home with our parents, which we both dislike.
5. My parents were both born overseas, mum in Germany and dad in England.
6. Most people think I am much younger than I am. I’m 24 and most people I meet think I’m 19-20ish. This really gets on my nerves!
7. After finishing secondary school I started studying a commerce degree but hated it and quit after a month.
8. My favourite thing to do is spend the day with my bf going somewhere relaxing, like up to the hills or a walk along the cliffs.
9. My favourite thing to wear is a dress, that’s why I’m looking forward to the warmer weather.
10. I have always wished I could do some type of dancing. I once took my bf to a ballroom dancing class and he hated it and wouldn’t go back :(
If you would like to be tagged please let me know in the comments section, and I will include it in my next post :)