Its been a while since ive posted a savory recipe. Today Im sharing a recipe which I think is quite quick and simple to make but really tasty.
1/8 Chinese cabbage
8 Cup Mushrooms
Pinch Cayenne pepper
1/3 teaspn Ginger powder
1/3 Garlic powder
Salt & pepper
1-2 Tblespn Hoysin sauce
1 Tblespn Soy sauce
Dumpling/Gow gee wrappers
- Dice carrot, cabbage, onion and mushroom into very small pieces. Heat oil in frypan, add carrot and onion, cook for a few minutes before adding the cabbage and mushroom. Add the garlic powder, ginger powder, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, hoysin sauce and soy sauce. Cook on a low to medium heat until carrots are cooked through.
- Separate wrappers, put approx one teaspoon of mixture onto the wrapper. Wet the edges of the wrapper with water and fold in half. Press together the edges to seal.
- There are various methods of steaming dumplings. I used a saucepan of boiling water with a steamer on top and a lid on top of that. Steam for about 10 minutes.
- With tongs, remove the dumplings from the steamer. Frying the dumplings is optional, of course they will be healthier not fried.
- Heat a small amound of oil, 1-2 Tablespoons should be enough, in a frypan on medium heat. Add the dumplings and fry on each side until lightly browned.
- Remove from frypan onto some paper towel to soak up any extra oil. Serve immediately.
As you can see below, the filling has to be diced very fine.
The steamer I use only fits about 7-8 dumplings.
The dumplings can be served with various types of sauces, but I profer them on their own. On this occasion I had them with fried rice. Last night I had them with hokkin stirfry which I proferred.
Have you ever made any type of dumplings? If so what did you use for the filling?