Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread Drizzled with a Chocolate Glaze
Posted Dec 10 2011 9:53am
Today I decided to make a dessert to bring to work, the perfect place to bring unwanted sweets ( I swear you bring in food and within 10 minutes you have a plate of crumbs left). With less than a month left until I head home and leave Florida I am diligently working hard to use up all my baking ingredients ( plus I want all the ingredients out of the house, so that I am not tempted to randomly bake for myself). I have found that having my own kitchen fully stocked with all necessary baking supplies to be quite dangerous. I find myself baking out of boredom sometimes, then of course unable to resist a plateful of warm fresh baked goods I end up gobbling half of what ever I made, this is not good, remind me to never buy baking supplies again).
I started off making a simple chocolate applesauce cake, but once I began baking I started to get creative and started adding in some savory ingredients to make an even more delicious dessert bread.Of course in an effort to ensure that this bread was ideal for serving I of course had several samples, ( so much for getting the ingredients out of the apartment so I wouldn't be tempted, I probably ended up eating 1/3 of the recipe in batter form, as I now sit here writing this blog while simultaneously nursing a very full stomach, I am beginning to regret eating so much)
This is a delicious Dessert Bread, it's moist and has a distinct peanut butter, banana flavor which in my opinion is definitely a winning combination of ingredients.
Ingredients 2 1/2 cups of white unbleached flour 1/3 cup of cocoa powder 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder 1/2 tsp of baking soda 3/4 cup of sugar 1 tbsp of brown sugar 3/4 cup of apple sauce 1/2 cup of light soy milk ( I use Silk) 1 tbsp of hot water 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar 1 tsp of vanilla extract 2 flax eggs ( 2 tbsp of flax seeds 6 tbsp of water) 2 ripe banana mashed and microwaved for 25 seconds to soften 1 tbsp of vegan chocolate chips melted (I Use Enjoy Life) 1/4 cup of peanut butter melted ( I use Earth Balance)
Ingredients for Glaze 1/2 cup of confectionery sugar 1 tsp of cocoa powder 1 tbsp of soy milk
Method 1) Begin by preheating the oven to 350
2) Start by mixing together all your dry ingredients ( flour, cocoa powder, sugars,baking soda, and baking powder)
3) In a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients ( applesauce, soy milk, water, vanilla, balsamic vinegar, vanilla, and flax eggs)
4) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly until you have a velvety smooth batter
5) Next add in melted chocolate chips, mashed banana, and melted peanut butter, again whisk thoroughly until you have a smooth consistency
6) Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and let bake for 25 minutes or until bread is completely cooked through
7) Let cool for 10 minutes, with a knife gently loosen edge to release bread, put bread on a plate and let thoroughly cool
8) Once bread is cool begin to mix together ingredients for the glaze
9) In a mixing bowl add together cocoa powder and confectionery sugar, slowly add in half of the soy milk, mix together ingredients, if necessary add in the rest of the soy milk. ( the key to this glaze is to make it thick and velvety smooth, so carefully add in the soy milk and stop once you have a achieved a creamy smooth consistency).
10) Carefully Drizzle Glaze Over Bread, Let sit for 15 minutes until glaze hardens