Ten reasons why you may not be losing weight by Liz Stein
Posted Apr 25 2009 11:02pm
Often times people wonder why they are not losing weight when they think they are eating a relatively healthy diet. Has this ever happened to you? Look at the list below and identify which scenario resonates with you...
1. Restricting calories...If you are having too few calories your metabolism will slow down and make it hard to lose weight. Instead, it will be easy to gain.
2. Believing that all calories ARE created equal... forget the saying "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie". There is a HUGE difference between eating 500 calories of leafy greens, and 500 calories of your favorite dessert.
3. Eliminating fats from your diet...including good fats in your diet with help you rev up your metabolism and keep you feeling full.
4. Skipping breakfast... we' ve all heard this a million times yet most of us are still doing it.
5. Not getting enough sleep...if you are not getting enough sleep or quality hours you are setting yourself up for an imbalance in hormones that will lead to weight gain.
6. Still caught in Atkins world...You need the right carbohydrates in your diet (think low glycemic load and high in vitamins, nutrients, fiber) such as leafy greens, fruits and gluten free grains.
7. Ignoring HOW you eat ...how you eat can be as important as what you eat. Are you relaxed, eating slowing, actually chewing your food?
8. Following the USDA Food pyramid ...Government isn' t always right (but it looks like we are headed in the right direction!)
9. Not feeling satisfied with your "Primary Foods"...the nourishment you get off your plate is just as important as what you put on it- your relationships, career, exercise and self care.
10. Not eating the right proportion of proteins, carbs and fat for your body... we are all unique. What works for your friend may not work for yourself.
Editor' s Note:
These great tips are brought to you by Liz Stein (our holistic nutrition
partner). Liz is a Certified Holistic Health Counselor.