Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:


Posted Sep 13 2008 11:54pm
Today was a much need mental and physical boost for me. I've really been struggling with the training. I mean, every day I WANT to do it all, but my body is just not cooperating. Sure I've been taking away the miles, but that's it... It feels like just going through the motions, not TRAINING.

Last year everything was new. It was like every day was a new page in my book of becoming an Ironman. This year, it's been more of a guessing game. While at times my speeds have been faster the pain is holding me back. The pain, along with some fear. The ups and downs of good run, bad run were really starting to get to me.

Rather than complain ( ok, except to momo cause well, I talk to her all day long!) I've really tried to hold it in. I mean, if I heard someone bitching about the training then my first thought would be then DON'T DO IT, duh! But to me it's not about the desire. The desire is there. It's there every single day.

It's the constant injury and pain. I don't over-do it (yes, I used to). I do my stretching and my rolling and on and on.... But, each time I get my massage my therapists grimaces at how bad of shape my body is in.

I've had a lot of self doubt going on in the last couple weeks especially. I have started thinking about next year and how I just really need to back down the mileage. Maybe more Olympic Distances, a 1/2 Ironman and shorter run races. NO MARATHONS. I repeat NO MARATHONS.

On Monday after my moderate 1:25 run went well, I decided that I would try to do my long run on Wednesday vs Friday. I had a massage on Monday so I was hoping that would help my run be more successful. I also had a standing appt with Dr. Sherman for Wednesday, so I figured worst case if the run went bad, he could fix me up before the big weekend. The big weekend being a Saturday 5:45bike/:30run....

I woke up plenty early to get my 2:10 planned run in. I was moving a little slow however, because my stomach was a little bit off. I finally headed out at about 6:30. The weather was PERFECT. Cloudy, 60degrees and a slight breeze. Oh how I was wishing this was the weather forecast for Sunday.....

I started with my most current favorite 8 ish mile loop of rolling hills. My leg was tight and I was beginning to worry if I would even make it to 2:10. After about an hour my leg(s) started to loosen up and my HR was really low so I was able to pick up the pace. In the back of my head I thought along that just MAYBE I would have a good day and just MAYBE I could do my 2:30 run that I missed last weekend.... Of course I didn't even say it out loud to myself because I didn't want to get my hopes up.

At about 1:15 into the run I stopped at a gas station to restock my water. I had a 13 ish mile loop in my head, but I decided to go for it. Things were going rate, I had picked up the pace from a 10or so min mile to a 9:15-9:45 mins pace.... things were looking up. I started doing the math in my head to figure out where to go that would keep me close enough to my house just in case something happened, but not TOO close in case I decided to just stop :-)

You know it's all a head game with this long stuff, assuming that the body is cooperating!! So, that's what I did. I just kept trucking along. I have to admit once I hit 2 hrs I was a little loopy. Why is it that I can do 5hrs on the bike, but 2 hours on the road felt like 5 times that much? My pace slowed a bit, just because I was running out of steam, but i pushed through.

I am happy to report that I DID IT. I completely my 2:30run, 15.25 miles with my HR only 148 (my last 2:10 run I think it was 155).... The weather was a big help with my pace. I do so well when the sun is not beating down on me. As for the leg. WHO KNOWS. I would love to believe that it truly is getting better, but once again... I am afraid to get my hopes up.

As soon as I got home I put my legs in the pool (it's still pretty cold) for a few mins to help the muscles out. Then, I headed down for my ART treatment. Dr. Sherman said it was VERY tight, but it wasn't the hard built up scar tissue on the band. It was more of my outer quad. He worked on me for about :25 mins then had his massage therapist do a little more work... He said that he thought it was time for me to "Semi-graduate." That my leg is much better...

He wants me to come back in a couple of weeks, then we'll decide on treatment up to the race. He said if I feel any pain at all (which to me, since the pain is never NOT there means, I can't run) to call & he will make time no matter what for me to get in.

Again, he seems a lot more confident than I am.. but I'll take what I can get, and I just hope that his confidence is enough to pull me through the next 9 weeks.....
Post a comment
Write a comment: