We've all been there before -- the dreaded mid-day shine show when oils in our skin put on a show for everyone to see! Instead of hiding behind your cubicle, try exercising these five tips from our jane iredale makeup team:
1. Drink plenty of water. This is most likely the last thing women think to do during the day. As an easy guide, try drinking six to eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day. This helps to flush skin cells of impurities and keep our skin hydrated. Oddly enough, when skin is dry,sebaceous glandsgo into overdrive to keep it moist (giving us an unsightly sheen).
"Drinking water is essential for clean skin and your overall health. Water is essential for carrying waste material out of your body. It is also the primary transporter of nutrients throughout your body."About.com
2. Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize When skin is dry, glands produce more oil to coat and protect it. By moisturizing your skin (every day) you are protecting your skin and minimizing oil secretion. Not only that, moist skin has been known to age slower than moisture-deprived skin -- isn't that reason enough?
3. Use a Primer Our jane iredale Absence primer doesn’t just absorb oil but helps to control over-activesebaceous glandsand regulate the pH balance of the skin.
One of the active ingredients in Absence is hydrated silica, which acts like a liposome. The hydrated silica forms a sphere with extracts of green tea, pomegranate and seaweed attached to the outside. The inside of the sphere is loaded with seaweed compounds that are released by the action of body heat. These seaweeds not only help to reduce sebaceous hypersecretion but also help to regulate the pH balance of the skin.
The now empty silica shell begins to absorb sebum without affecting moisture on the skin, because hydrated silica can hold seven times its molecular weight. By encapsulating the oil, it forms a barrier between it and the makeup so that the wearer can stay matte all day. Absence also contains a UV titanium and micronized zinc oxide to obtain a broad spectrumSPF 15. Although the product looks light in the compact it is transparent on the skin allowing any skin tone to wear the product.
The aesthetic benefit of Absence, apart from oil control, is that it can be used as a primer for any type of skin. It literally fills in fine lines, making the skin smooth and ready to receive makeup. Available in two colors:AbsenceandAbsence 2, for deeper complexions.
4. Consider a Finishing PowderPureMatte Finish Powdercan be used under or over the mineral base to control oil and shine. Apply with a brush and touch up with the puff provided throughout the day.
5. Blotting Papers work very well to touch up during the day! jane iredale's natural Facial Blotting Papers are the perfect solution to quickly and discreetly blot away excess shine.
Made from 100 percent natural flax seeds, which are more absorbent than traditional rice paper or linen,Facial Blotting Papersabsorb excess oil on the face without disturbing makeup or depositing additional product onto the skin. These absorbent flax seed sheets instantly tame shine to reveal a fresh, matte face that’s always ready for that big close-up.
Packaged in a slim and sleek gold case that can double as a business card holder, Facial Blotting Papers can go anywhere — from the office to the most glamorous soirée. The portable compact is ideal for slipping into your pocket, purse or desk drawer.