Most people today have heard of the HPV virus as it has received considerable media coverage. Different strains of the HPV virus cause different types of warts. Plantar warts are caused by the particular strains numbered 1, 2 and 4 which means that they were the very first of the warts family to be identified, named and numbered. When the HPV virus successfully invades the skin, it causes the skin cells to grow rapidly thus forming the wart.
But each person's immune system responds differently to HPV, so not everyone who comes in contact with the virus develops warts. Even people in the same family react to the virus differently.
The virus also needs to have a point of entry into the skin such as: cracks in dry skin; cuts or scrapes; or that wet, softened, fragile skin which occurs from prolonged water exposure.
Recognizing a plantar wart
When a plantar wart starts to develop, it differs from other warts by growing inwards with round areas of rough skin and a dry crusty surface. Deep inside, tiny black dots are often visible which are dried up capillary blood vessels. As a plantar wart grows, it can cause considerable pain and discomfort from being flattened by standing or walking.If you are not sure whether you have a planter wart (as they can sometimes be confused with a callus) just squeeze the lesion between your fingers as if pinching. If this action is painful, then you can be 99% certain you are dealing with a plantar wart.
Treating a plantar wart
- Topical homeopathic products are specially formulated to reduce the appearance and symptoms of all types of warts including plantar warts. Used daily as instructed, the topical application of a H-Warts Formula will counteract the symptoms of warts so that they shrink and flake away in a safe, gentle and painless way in as little as two to three weeks.
- Over-the-counter medicationscontain acids that are applied to the wart. The acids are peeling agents that remove the dead skin cells of the wart and cause the plantar wart to eventually fall out. Be sure to follow package directions because over-application of these products can burn the skin. Periodically sand and retreat the wart. It can take several months to get rid of a large one using these treatments.
- Cryosurgeryis where a doctor freezes the plantar wart with liquid nitrogen. This treatment is usually done in the doctor's office.
- You can pay a visit your doctor for the plantar wart to be cut out. A local anesthetic will ensure the procedure is less painful.
- Laser surgery is a successful but costly method whichmay be used for warts that are particularly stubborn.
Warts can spread, so monitor your feet closely and treat warts when they are small. While you are applying a plantar warts treatment, you will find it more comfortable to use a special pad or doughnut-shaped piece of moleskin around the wart available from a drugstore to relieve any pressure and pain from the wart.
If you are prone to any HPV warts, it is always wise to look at your lifestyle and whether you can boost your immune system to give you maximum protection from viruses and germs alike.