The Daily Beast and the OC Register have interesting articles on 12 Crazy Plastic Surgeries. Are these really crazy? Are people doing them? Do I do them? Here we go!
1. Creation of dimples - This is being done, just not be me or most plastic surgeons.
2. Chin cleft surgery - same as #1. Michael Jackson reportedly had this done.
3. Abdominal etching (liposuctioning fat to make it look like a six-pack) - This is being done by a handful of surgeons. My concern is, will that six-pack turn into a party ball in 15 years?
4. Eyebrow and eyelash transplants - unusual procedure. The only doctor I know of who does this is my friend Dr. Alan Bauman in Florida.
5. Toe shortening - Is this really necessary? Only if someone has a foot fetish, I guess.
6. Cankle liposuction - I will rarely perform this procedure. It has a higher complication rate compared to liposuction of other areas, but can really help those with severe cankles.
7. Toddler teeth whitening - Anyone who does this to their kid should be visited by social services... or at least by Supernanny.
8. Collagen feet fillers - This is being done, especially before Red Carpet appearances, although Restylane is now the injection of choice. I spoke about it on the CBS Early Show. See a clip of it here .
9. Pubic hair transplants - Seriously? Yuck!
10. Belly button surgery - Otherwise known as umbilical hernia repair. I do this all the time during tummy tucks. I turn an 'outie' into an 'innie.'
11. Iris implants - Sounds pretty ridiculous. Only about 250 people have undergone this procedure worldwide, as a way of giving a different eye color. I prefer colored contacts over taking a knife to my eyeball!
12. Gummy bear breast implants - These are not crazy or ridiculous at all, as they are being widely used in other countries. These firm, form-stable implants are not FDA-approved yet, and my inside sources tell me that it may be a long, long time before we are using them routinely. Click here to see a segment of the CBS Early Show where I discuss them.