Summer’s here, and warmer weather means more exposed limbs…and an end to the winter grizzly bear-syndrome. (C’mon, admit it–you let the waxing and shaving slide in the winter…and spring…sometimes, too!) Next time you’re off to the spa or salon for a waxing or lasering session, keep these tips in mind to minimize the pain:
1) Never go during your period; this is when your pain threshold is lowest. Wait until the week after your period, when your pain threshold is highest
2) An hour beforehand, pop an Advil or ibuprofen
3) Half an hour beforehand, spread a topical numbing cream like LMX all over the targeted area; it will literally cut the pain in half.
4) Bring your iPod–it might sound silly, but the distraction really helps!
5) Take a deep breath before each yank. (And just remember–it’s a means to an end. Think of England!)