Adriana Lima at Victoria’s Secret Dream Angels Wish launch (or: How to Look Glamorous)
Posted Oct 22 2008 2:12pm
Let’s not fool ourselves: good genes help. Hell, they’re at least half the battle. But if those horrific photos of “Stars–Without Their Makeup!” on the cover of tabloids like Star show us anything, it’s that without complexion-smoothing foundation, shiny, blown-out hair, lengthening mascara and glossy lips, celebrities really can look Just Like Us! (Which is to say, not like you belong on the cover of a magazine.)
So, for your consideration, I present Adriana Lima, here at the launch of Victoria’s Secret’s newest fragrance, Dream Angels Wish, a “blend of sparkling grapefruit, orange flower and cashmere woods.” Adriana is ridiculously pretty, and I’d be willing to bet she still looks Deal With The Devil gorgeous even sans makeup and with her hair pulled into a messy bun. However! Adriana’s helped along here by a few tricks that can turn any woman from so-so to stunning.
1) Bronzer: Apply it at the temples, on eyelids, and very lightly on the forehead, top of your cheeks and (only if you don’t have a ruddy complexion) on the sides of the nose. Stay away from your chin, the upper lip and the lower-half of your cheeks (a common rookie mistake that mimics a 5 o’clock shadow. For examples see: Aguilera, Christina; Lohan, Lindsay; Underwood, Carrie.)
2) Peach makeup: Peach eyes, peach lips, peach cheeks, it’s all good. Pay particular attention to eyes, and use several different shades, including a slightly darker shadow that’s verging on bronze or brown.
3) Defined eyes: Line the upper-lid as close to the lash line as possible, and then set by following over it with a thin liner brush dipped in dark eyeshadow. Dust a small amount of shadow on the lower outer corners of the eyes, and follow with mascara on top and bottom lashes. (For extra va-va-voom, use a lash curler first, and pick a kick-ass mascara. I’m currently loving Too Faced Lash Injection Pin Point, but also die for Cover Girl Lash Blast ).
4) Face shimmer: Think apples of the cheeks, the center of the forehead, on the tip of the nose, at the inner corner of the eyes and under eyebrows.
5) Shiny, healthy hair: Use either a curling iron or a straightening iron to help sleekify, then apply a shine spray or serum. Et voila!