1. It's a makeup brush, not a magic wand. My biggest request from women over 40, "Make me look 10-20 years younger." Ok, I have paint, gloss, and lashes, but no where in my kit do I own a syringe of Botox. Please go to the plastic surgeon if you want those kinds of results. We must be realistic, makeup alone might shave off 5 years max. I'm here to help you create the "best" version of your current self, not a younger you.
2. Please take care of your skin. That's half the battle. If you come to me with dirty skin that never sees a washcloth or Clarisonic at night, you're doing yourself a disservice. Clean and well taken care of skin gives you a better chance at getting amazing results with your makeup application. Have you ever tried to put foundation or powder on top of dry flaky skin that's never seen a moisturizer or exfoliator? Yeh, it's not pretty. Prep your canvas before you apply your paint.
3. Pay attention to your eyebrows. The models above are prime examples of this. Eyebrows are THE framework of the face. Nice full manicured brows are one of the attributes that make these women so beautiful. Granted I know we are not all blessed with bushy brows to work with, but that doesn't mean we can't at least fill them in to fake it a little. I'd say 85% of the women I work with admit to never touching their brows in their beauty routine. And when I show them what a little pencil or shadow can do for them to fill in the sparse areas, I always get excited gasps! Hint - fuller brows are a more youthful look too, so there's subtracting at least a year off your face! Here are some tips on how to do so.
4. Clean your makeup brushes. When I do teaching sessions and one on one consults with women, one of their biggest complaints is that their current makeup just isn't looking as good as it used to. I then ask to see their makeup brushes, and 9 times out of 10, their bristles are all corroded with old makeup that has never seen the light of soap and water. And you wonder why those little pesky pimples keep popping up? Your makeup looks only as good as the tools you use, so take care of them! Here's an old post on how I clean my brushes (I was pregnant if that tells you anything!). But the info and cleaning routine still rings true.
5. Don't be afraid to play. I'm not teaching you how to cut your own hair, where you get one shot at not screwing up. Makeup is easily removable. If you mess up when trying to fill in those brows as I suggested, or your smokey eye went larger than life and looks like a bruise instead of beautiful, use some makeup remover and start over! Makeup application is fun, and the more you play around with it, the more likely you are to find a look or technique that works wonders just for you! I teach women all the time the ins and outs of makeup, but the truth is, there are no hard and fast rules of makeup, only soft guidelines. So be bold and curious, color outside of the lines every now and then!
Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram @JennySueMakeup
Click on my Subscriber Box on the RIGHT hand side of the blog
so you never miss a JSM moment! You will get an email notification right when a new post goes up!