We are in the midst of the party season, a time when a lot of women take risks, not only with their liver, but by wandering about town in a state of lowered awareness and in some cases careless abandon. Here are some tips to keep yourselves safe this party season, buying you time to escape if you are cornered:
1. Knee/Kick to the Groin: The easiest way to stop an attacker and buy your self some running time.
2. Key Punch: When walking somewhere on your own hold a key tightly between your thumb and forefinger and be prepared to puncture any soft flesh you can hit. This magnifies the effectiveness of any punch you can muster.
3. Ear Scream/Slap: The inner ear contains the sensory organs for hearing and balance. If you can cup your hands over the ear and scream or even slap your assailant’s ear like the old tango adverts, you can cause disorientation and no small amount of pain.
4. Foot Stamp: Put those Pradas to good use – jab that heel into the top of the baddie’s foot as hard as you can. This is helpful to use if you’re grabbed from behind and can’t use your arms. Loose the heels if you need to run away though.
5. Knee Kick: Another good one to use if you’re grabbed from behind. Pull your leg up, swing back with as much force as you can muster, connecting with their shin or knee
6. Forearm to the Neck: There’s a lot of tender and important bits in the neck which will hurt like hell if bashed hard with a fast-moving forearm.
7. Eye Gouge: Your attacker may be stronger, but everyone’s eyes are vulnerable. Get your thumbs or fingers in those sockets and push as hard as you can.
8. Elbow to the Gut: The elbow is the hardest bone in the body and least likely to break on impact in a fight. Lift your arm as high above your head as you can and swing it down with a wicked vengeance, wherever you connect you will wind your attacker
9. Glaswegian Kiss or Head Butt: If your arms are pinned and you can’t get enough purchase to kick or stomp, consider using your head as a weapon. Reel back and slam your head into his face…with a little luck you’ll break his nose, or at the very least stun him enough to free your limbs for a bigger counter attack.
10. RUN: All these moves are meant to get whoever has you to let you go. Once you’re free, RUN. Put those spinning classes to good use and haul ass as fast as you can, as hard as you can, until you find help.