Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

some days you run 7:30 miles, some days you run 10:00s

Posted Aug 20 2011 6:52pm
I should probably have actually called this, "this post brought to you by RunnerBaby".  Warning, if you don't like seeing pictures of cute babies, you should probably come back another day.  Can you reallllllyyy say 'no' to this face?
Runner in the making!

But first, let's talk this morning's run.  RunnerBro and I decided to hit the trails for 8 miles.  We parked at other bro's house (unbeknownst to him at the time...we left our keys with him and caught him by surprise) as his house was right by the trail.  We set off a little after 8 (uh, after we realized where the trail was.  RunnerBro and I have NO sense of direction).  We set out and I was feeling pretty good.  I did the first mile in 8:30.  
After that mile, I started to feel a little tightness in my right calf.  I slowed a little, but did the 2nd mile in about 9.  The trail seemed extra rocky today or my calf was just responding to it a lot.  Either way, it just felt tight in that annoying way that wouldn't let up.  I felt bad for slowing Runnerbro down, so I tried to power through.  I made it through 3.43 miles before I begged to turn back.  RunnerBro suggested I stretch it  a little, so I did.  It seemed to help some.  We were on pavement at this point and I felt okay on pavement.  
Once we hit gravel again, it was a whole other ball game.  I was walking a decent amount now.  I begged RunnerBro to go ahead and he would for a bit, then stop and wait for me.  He definitely waited after seeing two guys in full-on army attire that were carrying either real or fake guns.  Creepy, no?
I was hovering in 10:00-10:30 minute miles at this point, but I didn't really care.  I just said, "finish".  We opted to do a full 7, but running back to the car, and I ended up doing it in 1:10 or 10:00 minute miles.  Funny how yesterday 7:30 miles felt fine and today 10:00 miles felt sooo tough.  I felt bad for holding back RunnerBro so much, but he was a good sport and at the end of the day, 7 miles is 7 miles, no matter how fast or slow you go.  
We took a quick pic where I look like a crazy person: and hello to my double chin, ew.
fun fact: we unintentionally matched in orange and blue today, we're real cool.
When I got home, I foam rolled, stretched some more, and iced it.  It feels okay right now, but I guess the true test will come tomorrow when I attempt to run again.  Initially I worried, "is this an indicator for hood to coast?" But no, it isn't.  I'll be fine for HTC.  It was an off day with a calf that was being difficult.  It doesn't feel like an injury, just maybe a muscle that cramped up a little or needs some massaging.  I'll be fine.  No boo hooing or worrying needed.
After my run I was famished, so I made waffles for Ry and I.  I topped mine with syrup and fruit, yum!

Once I was sufficiently stuffed, I did important things like nap and catch up my celebrity gossip a la the latest US weekly (priorities, I tell you).  
Later in the afternoon we went to Dick's with Runnerbro, RunnerSis, and Runnerbaby.  Runnerbaby was a little ham and wanted to try out everything: no one gave her the memo that she's too little for this bike.

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches