Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

sleep-running, bridges, and other fun stuff...

Posted Aug 23 2009 12:00am

An update of the previous week
Monday: Since starting Team for Kids I have not ran the Brooklyn Bridge-Manhattan Bridge route that was my first run when I started running this spring. Since the 1/2 marathon was on Sunday our regular Team for Kids practice was canceled. At first, I was just going to run after work on the West Side Highway but at the last moment, I changed my mind and I am glad I did! The Brooklyn Bridge was crowded as usual, but it is still so nice to run over. However, it was not until the leg back over the Manhattan Bridge that the wondrous thing happened. It was the first time that I think I have ever truly felt the feeling of floating up a hill. I clocked some of my fastest times ever over the bridge and it all felt so effortless. Bring it on Verrazano Bridge! :)

Tuesday: We had a 1.5 mile warm-up run and then a stretching session. The stretching session felt good after the long run from the weekend and it was really relaxing just staring up at the clouds in the sky while stretching. After the stretching session, we had another TFK social, which contributed to the difficulty of the rest of the runs of the week. Let's just leave it that I probably had a little too much fun for a Tuesday night...

Wednesday: Speed workout. However, on four hours of sleep I am not sure you could really call it that…

Thursday: off

Friday: Try to go to sleep at 9:30pm on Friday in preparation for the early run on Saturday and because I had been getting less than six hours of sleep for the past two weeks. End up reading two more hours. Cannot fall asleep until 1am. At 3:39am the storm wakes me up. I maybe fall asleep for one more hour before waking up at 5am. I am not happy. I go off to the workout and I think I leave my spirit sleeping in bed.

Saturday: Saturday was sleep-running at its best during our second 14-mile run of the season. Since it had been storming all night, many branches had fallen so we ran a different route than we had originally been scheduled to. We started at southern Bridle Path turnaround at West 62nd Street and headed north on the bridle path did three loops around the reservoir, then headed back down to 62nd Street only to head back up again and do two more loops around the reservoir before heading back to 62nd street. Moreover, each of the two loops before heading back to 62nd street were supposed to be one minute faster than we were running the rest of the time. It started okay, but on the first speed pick-up I felt a sense of déjà-vu of Wednesday's speed workout and it all pretty much went downhill from there. At no point did I feel extremely tired, but that is because the motivation was not there and the moment it felt hard I just slowed down. Usually I feel happy after running, but this time I just felt really empty and lost. I went home, fell asleep until 3pm and was in bed by midnight.

Sunday: I woke up feeling refreshed (what a novel concept!). In the evening, I did a 4.5 mile recovery run with Anisha and then we had yummy Indian food. Looks like the running gods are once again smiling upon me! Hope it stays that way! This Saturday Manasqaun Reservoir!

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches