1. R.I.C.E. is my BEST FRIEND!
2. The internet is my 2nd BEST FRIEND! (I have learned a LOT about how to tape, how to stretch, and how to “fix” aches and pains)
3. Chiropractor, Massage Therapist, and Physical Therapist are my 3rd BEST FRIENDS! These 3 people have gotten me through EVERY ache/pain/injury!! My massage therapist has been able to pinpoint several issues that the orthopedic surgeon couldn’t even diagnose. I’ve learned that Chiropractors aren’t just about your back- they can adjust lower leg bones to improve shin splints or foot bones to improve foot pain for example. I’ve also learned that MANY pains are a result of/made worse by a muscle tension that can be improved by a massage, strengthening, and stretching.
4. The local running store has been an invaluable partner in helping me to address my pain by finding socks and shoes to “fix” many of the issues listed above. Finding the right combo takes a lot of patience!
5. Blogging has truly been invaluable to me. Between insightful comments about the origin of my butt pain (Piriformis), to learning training tips, to the supportive followers – the emotional “boost” I need to get me over the painful hump has come from blogging.
6. As an injury prone person, a sensible training plan that increases weekly mileage very slowly over many weeks and is conservative in adding higher intensity sessions is an absolute must!
7. Know when a pain is just a pain (such as with PF – it just hurts REALLY badly but the actual PF is not going to get worse by running) or when a pain is coming from something that can get worse (i.e. a stress fracture or a tear will get worse with running). If there’s any question about the nature of your pain, I encourage you to consult a healthcare professional.
How about you – had a running injury that has challenged your commitment to running?
What did you learn as a result of going through the injury?&Ask me more Questions HERE!
Don't forget to enter my Gummy Multivites giveaway HERE