If you follow me on twitter or Daily Mile, you might have noticed that lately I’ve been doing more core work and strength training. To be honest, I’m not intrinsically motivated to do anything but cardio but I figured core/strength training would make me a more balanced runner and it might just help prevent running-related injuries. I set a goal of core training 2-3x week and have found myself repeatedly doing Jillian’s 6 Week 6 Pack DVD. For the first time in my life, I’m actually enjoying core work- the video is hard (especially level 2!) and I feel pretty amazing afterwards.
While I don’t have a 6 pack yet (;) I’m not sure that’s in the cards for me), my confidence is higher and my body feels stronger which to me, is more important than looking ripped in a bikini. In addition, one of the things that I really like about Jillian Michaels is that she preaches self-respect and in addition to healthy living behaviors and she encourages individuals to get healthy (whether that be fit or strong) in order to improve self-confidence.
So why am I blabbering on about core work and Jillian’s DVD? Well, I was recently contacted by Popchips, who has partnered with Jillian Michaels, and asked to share some of Jillian’s tips on how to be a “healthier you”. Given that I have been enjoying Jillian’s workouts and her tips are pretty solid, I thought it was only fair to share them with you guys.
1. Make a resolution… and keep it. Resolutions shouldn’t be something you wait for, resolve to do it and resolve to start now!
2. It’s all about balance. Eating three balanced meals (every four hours) with a snack between lunch and dinner is key. Reach for a healthier snack like carrot sticks and hummus, fresh fruit, or curb salty cravings with tasty snacks such as popchips or almonds and dried cranberries.
3. Just because it’s not fried, doesn’t mean it’s not delicious! If you are in the mood to nosh, replace fried potato chips with a healthier alternative that still will satisfy that salty craving. Popchips are a great and my favorite snack option. They taste delicious and have less than half the fat of friend chips and only 100 calories in the single serve bag.
4. Grab a buddy. It’s a fact that you will achieve success when you have the support of those closest to you. So get your friends together to support each other in being healthier.
5. Create healthier alternatives to your favorite fried foods. Opt for cooking methods that use little or no fat such as steaming, grilling, baking, popping, broiling, or roasting. You can still make these items taste great with the right seasoning!
The first tip really resonated with me. There are so many times that I want to start doing something like adding in more core work, trying a new fitness class, or riding my bike to work instead of taking the bus but I keep telling myself I will start doing it next month or next training cycle when I really should just start now. What am I waiting for?
Popchips has offered to give one lucky reader a signed copy of Jillian’s new book, Slim for Life, as well as one month’s supply of popchips!
There are two ways to enter
1. Leave a comment on this post with a “healthy tip”
2. Follow me on twitter (@runningwindycty) and then leave a comment saying you follow me.
The giveaway closes on Sunday, March 3rd and I’ll be announcing the winner on Monday, March 4th. Good luck!