Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

Crowds and Storms

Posted Aug 21 2009 12:39pm
I am really excited today is a cross-training day. I haven't been able to do much cross-training in the past 2 weeks thanks to my travel schedule and pure exhaustion. It will be a nice change to the constant miles I've been logging; plus I'll actually be able to use the gym I give money away to each month. Added bonus!

Sunday finished my running week at just shy of 48 miles! That makes me tired just looking at the number ;) Saturday I woke early (well early for me) for a 17 mile long run. I was hoping to beat not only the sun and heat but also the 51st Annual Chicago Air and Water show masses. For those of you who may not be familiar this show is a big f*&^%$# deal in these parts and families come from all over to set up shop all along the lakefront. Plus, it has taken on a festival-like atmosphere so there are food and game tents set up in addition to all the families who bring their tents, grills, smokers, games, coolers, and nearly anything else you could think of. So although it's a great venue for people and plane watching, it's not too conducive for running. Other than a few not so pleasant smells (think corn dogs, funnel cakes, and B.O. all for the first two but not when mixed with the 3rd, gross) and an overall feeling of being a little off the first 3 miles the first 1/2 of the run went well. I started to get antsy around 7 but was fine once I realized I would be turning around in less than 2 miles. The return trip, well... I ran into those crowds I was hoping to beat. The CPD blocked me from going back over the North Beach bridge as they had closed it down and made it 1-way pedestrian traffic towards the lake, I wanted to get away from the lake. Even my cutest, sweatiest, feel pity for me smile wasn't getting me across that bridge. Although the cop did say sorry and sounded like he actually meant it. The bridge blockade meant I had to do a lot of weaving and stop/starting to get through the crowd until the next cross street nearly a mile north of the bridge. After making it through the mess the remaining 4.5 miles were fantastic even in the heat.

Sunday I ran a very wet 5 mile recovery run. The day had been on and off storms and I decided to head out late afternoon when it seemed like it hadn't rained in awhile. Ha said mother nature! Within minutes of my warm-up the sprinkles started and since I was already out I figured no big deal. Ha again. The skies opened up and I was a drowned rat in seconds. I kept going because I was already wet and really it was only 5 miles. Side note, plastic baggies around the ipods totally work! No need to spend money on a fancy case :) Anyways, I may have ran a little too fast for a recovery run but I had a lot of fun "playing" in the rain! And I felt kind of hardcore ;) Yes, the clothes would have caused some serious chafing issues had I gone much further and I could have used goggles or windshield wipers but it was all good for this run.

This week is a recovery week; I guess if you call 42 miles instead of 48 a recovery week. I am sure I will notice the difference and comes at a great time as I'm feeling more tired than usual. I do have to say that on my long runs I am feeling stronger, especially in the later miles, than I ever have before with any other program I have used. It's just when I come home all I want to do is sleep!
Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches