As you may know, I'm currently hanging out in Florida for the week! I've gotten in a couple fun runs and bike rides so far. Running while on vacation is one of my favorite treats.
I love it because: -you can get to know the new location better by foot than by driving around -running makes me feel more relaxed the rest of the day, so I can better enjoy my vacation -you can meet new running buddies if you're somewhere for more than a few days -races in a new city are a way to create a wonderful memory!
Running on Coronado Island in San Diego May 2012
Here are my favorite tips for running while on vacation!
1) Wake up early and do it. Don't hamper your travel buddy's schedule by making them wait around while you get your sweat on if you have a day jam packed with other activities. You don't want it to be a burden, so just wake up earlier to add an extra hour or so to the beginning of your day to make it happen.
Running in San Francisco summer 2011
2) Run with a family member or friend, especially if you're not familiar with the area. If there are non-runners on the trip, maybe you can find someone who's interested in biking next to you while you run. I love it when my Mom does this with me. She's had double knee replacement surgery so she can't run, but she will always hop on a bike to join me!
3) Google local running clubs and find their scheduled group runs. When I was in Santa Fe last summer, I found a wonderfully friendly group of running buddies, the Santa Fe Striders . I ran with them a couple times, met a super nice girl, and even hung out with them after a group run.
Racing in Santa Fe with Caroline Rotich summer 2011 What an opportunity to meet her! I think she was 3rd at the Boston marathon that year. This is probably her slow crawl haha :)
4) Look up local races on Active.com or another running race database to find potential races that fit into your schedule, prior to leaving for your trip. I've done this with the O.C. Marathon in LA, Shamrock 8K in Florida, and the Striders 5K in Santa Fe.
Running the OC Marathon while on vacation in May 2012... signed up for that race the week I was there. Can we say crazy person?
5) If you can't run, don't "sweat it" too much. Find an alternative way to get in some exercise. Often times you'll be covering a lot of miles by foot when you're touring around, so don't stress about it if you don't fit in your prescheduled miles.
I know many people who prefer to not exercise while on vacation, and I understand that sometimes it just doesn't make sense to do fit in a little sweat if you're on a tight schedule or unfamiliar territory. However, if you're going to be spending a few days somewhere, it can really enhance your trip!
Do you like to run while on vacation? I usually manage to make it happen, definitely helps me enjoy the rest of the trip.