New runners struggle. Veterans get into slumps. We all know them—those times when running becomes more like work than fun. And, most of the time anyway, runningshould be fun so what do you do when confronted with the running blahs? Look no further because here is the Complete Running Network’s 10-part prescription for injecting fun into your run!
1. Give Chase. Spot another runner, biker, or rollerblader along the path and give chase. Wuppin’ someone’s butt is great fun … even if they don’t know they’re part of the game (in my case, the strategy allows for my only wins!).
2. Use the Buddy System. There’s nothing like sharing a run with a good friend. Nothing.
3. Mix & Run. Millions of iPod users can’t be wrong. Running with music or podcasts (especially podcasts about running) can really rock.
4. Be a Legend in Your Own Mind. Pretend you’re your favorite running hero. Become Steve Prefontaine or Paula Radcliff and pretend you’re fighting off the pack!
5. Bring Out Your Inner Child. How do kids run? Not straight ahead plodding right? They dart and jump around a lot. Throw that into your run and see if it doesn’t bring a smile to your face. But … um … maybe do it when no one’s looking.
6. Hit the Road Trail, Jack. Learn what trail runners already know; that the fun, discovery and beauty of trail running is darn near unbeatable.
7. Run in the Rain:. If you can forget about what it’ll do to your hair and makeup, I can almost guarantee you’ll love it.
8. Slow it Down. Leave the Forerunner at home. Take it all in. Smell the plants. Hear the birds, your breath and footsteps. Connect. With. The. Earth.
9. Bare it All. Take off your shoes and run along a beach or in some soft grass. I’m tellin’ ya, it’s heavenly.
10. Help A Newbie. Share what you know with someone new to the sport and discover the joy and fun of giving on the run.
11. Race For Fun. No time goals. Just run and enjoy the company of the crowd.
I know this was supposed to be a ten part list but that eleventh one was too fun not to mention.