Movember, the month formerly known as November, is when brave and selfless men around the world grow a moustache, with the support of the women in their lives, to raise awareness and funds for men’s health – specifically prostate and testicular cancer. Established in 2003 by a few friends over a beer in a pub just outside Melbourne, Australia, the goal was simple – to create a campaign promoting the growth of the moustache among likeminded people and having fun along the way. It is about real men, talking about real issues and changing the face of men’s health, one moustache at a time.
Movember now spans the globe, with campaigns in 21 countries in 2012. Here at Rude magazine we are committed to promoting the health of everyone; and so to show we’re sporting gals, we’re getting involved by also growing our hair! And not the flowing locks upon our heads, oh no, we promise not to shave, use depilation methods or wax our pits, pins or pubes! Hey it’s all in support of our men-folk!
Gimme the facts n figures Rude…
• Movember is about real men growing real moustaches and talking about real issues. Here at Rude, we’ve joined the cause by growing our own hair in all three key areas!
• The Moustache is the ribbon for men’s health
• Movember is about changing the face of men’s health, one moustache at a time
• Mo Bros sporting upper lip hair effectively become walking talking billboards for Movember raising funds and much needed awareness around the often ignored issues of men’s health
• In 2011, over 854,288 Mo Bros and Mo Sistas raised over £79.3 million globally
• In 2011 over 254,000 Mo Bros and Mo Sistas raised over £22 million in the UK
• Since its humble beginnings in Melbourne Australia in 2003, Movember has grown to become a truly global movement with campaigns in 21 countries in 2012
• Mo Bros start the month clean shaven, then grow and groom their moustache all month long.
Our very own head-honcho Nicci Talbot is growing her hair in the pit, pube and pins regions – go grrrrrrl! You can support her by joining the cause and by checking out our Mo page or by taking a look at our facebook page and getting involved in the fun!
And one from our friends…
Have you checked out Bondara yet? This amazing online retailer has over one million sex toys in stock – and a fantastic range of lingerie and bondage gear – it’s simply a great-stop-shop for all your naughty pleasure needs! This Movember sees our friends at Bondara encouraging men to check their prostate by promoting the variety of benefits that prostate massagers provide, not only in terms of male pleasure – but also in increased physical health awareness. In the same way that women are encouraged to check their boobs, men should be encouraged to check their testicles and prostate for any signs of pain or swelling. And why not learn how to have incredible prostate orgasms at the same time? The massagers are used to stimulate the prostate gland and have been proven to improve ejaculation, strengthen erections (through increased blood flow to the area) and help guys have a much better awareness of their sexy bods! “Sign us up” we hear the menfolk holler!
Bondara said: “At Bondara.co.uk we encourage each and every man to probe his prostate and check his balls in new and exciting ways. This Movember we want to remember that knowing your body thoroughly (inside and out) can help you to spot the warning signs of cancer. Prostate toys are a brilliant way of becoming familiar with a hidden part of your anatomy so throughout Movember, 10% of sales on selected prostate massagers will be collected and donated at the end of November. We want to change the face of men’s health.”
From the 1st November Bondara will be showing their support in the bid to raise money for Movember by donating 10% of the purchase price on 6 of our Bondara prostate massagers which will feature the moustache logo. Not only that but a team of Bondara boys has selflessly donated their faces to the cause and will be (attempting anyway!) to grow thick and luxurious moustaches throughout the month. Alongside this we have a list of fun ways to promote the month; followers on Facebook so you can join in and help support the good cause by liking photos, links etc and to show our appreciation we will be donating lump sums in support of Prostate and Testicular Cancer charities endorsed by Movember. Last year the UK campaign alone raised a whooping £22 million!
Prostate massage health benefits
A small walnut sized gland found inside the male reproductive system just underneath the bladder, the prostate secretes a fluid that goes to form semen. Prostate Massage refers to the insertion of a finger or a toy into a man’s anal canal to stimulate the prostate by gently rubbing the front wall (towards his belly button).
The intensity and length of your ejaculation can actually be improved by prostate massage. As the prostate produces some of the fluid within semen, regular prostate stimulation can result in larger ejaculations. Some men can even experience a ‘full-body’ orgasm from prostate stimulation that’s similar to a female orgasm.
Erections can become stronger and more frequent with prostate massage as you stimulate the flow of seminal fluid and blood to the region. More blood flow= stronger and longer-lasting erections.
Improved body awareness
As with any part of your body, the more you explore it the sooner you realise if something is wrong. Regular prostate massage not only feels great but you’ll notice if something is painful, swollen or ‘not right’ much quicker than you would otherwise. Prostate cancer is very treatable but you stand a much better chance of a full recovery if you catch the warning signs early.
Prostate massage toys are specially shaped from hard plastic or silicone and are designed to be comfortably inserted into the anus to massage the prostate. Some of them vibrate for added stimulation; others are controlled simply by hand.
And another from our friends…
Pixielixcraftymix(Facebook page) is a truly wonderful online store featuring quirky and original homespun craft pieces from the marvellously talented Lisa Langford. Think cushions, quilted wall hangings, cards and other decorations, baby room accessories, soft furnishings, wedding accessories, IPAD and IPOD covers… a veritable joy of all things craft made for the modern world. Lisa said: “I’d love to get involved with this fabulous charity, and will be donating 10% of all sales of my moustache range to www.movember.com .”
Did you know?
• 1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK – one man is diagnosed every 15 minutes
• A man will die from prostate cancer every hour – more than 10,000 men will die of the disease this year in the UK
• African Caribbean men are three times more likely to develop prostate cancer
• You are 2.5 times more likely to develop prostate cancer if your father or brother has had it
• Occurrences of prostate cancer in men are comparable to the rates of breast cancer in women
• 2,209 men in the UK were diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2009
• 47% of testicular cancer cases occur in men under 35 years and over 90% occur in men under 55 years
How can YOU help?
• Grow a moustache this November (or go wild and bushy if you’re a lady looking to help and support the cause) to raise funds and awareness for prostate and testicular cancer.
• As a Moustache Merchant, raising funds and sharing knowledge of men’s health will help change the face of men’s health
How do Mo Bros and Sistas get involved?
REGISTER individually or as a team at www.movember.com
MOTIVATE your friends and family to donate and support your mo growing efforts
DISCUSS men’s health and encourage the men around you to know their health and be aware of early warning signs
CELEBRATE the power of the Mo and your achievements during Movember
Where does the money go?
In 2011, over 854,288 Mo Bros and Mo Sistas raised over £79.3 million globally; with over £22 million of that coming from the UK. Funds raised in the UK are directed to programmes run by Movember and our men’s health partners Prostate Cancer UK and The Institute of Cancer Research.
Knowledge is power, the moustache is king. Register at Movember.com. Welcome to the family!