Tomorrow marks the 40th anniversary of Earth Day , a day designed to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth's environment. It was founded by U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in held on April 22, 1970 . Today, it's celebrated in more than 175 countries each year.
I'd like to invite each of you to renew your commitment to all of the families with whom we share this beautiful planet: the two leggeds, the four leggeds, the winged ones, the crawlers, the standing ones (trees), those that live on the waters and in the waters, all those who have come before us, and all those who will come after us.
Here are 10 simple ways in which you can celebrate Earth Day, every day
1. Pledge your commitment to the Earth by signing the Declaration of Energy Independence , which calls for our government to pursue a sustainable energy future that will preserve – not destroy – our last, unspoiled wildlands.
3. Gather some rainwater, lavender, milk and honey. Add to your bath and soak in the energy of Mother Earth.
4. Attract birds, butterflies and other wildlife to your own backyard with the National Wildlife Federation's Certified Wildlife Habitat™ program.
5. Socially responsible investing is huge, and growing at a rapid rate. You can support a sustainable economy, and get great returns. Start your research at Red Jellyfish .
6. Leave your car keys at home. Ride a bike, walk or take public transportation.
7. Food, Inc. makes its broadcast premiere on PBS tonight (check local listings). Invite your friends and neighbors over for a screening. Purchase the DVD , and gift a copy to your child's school. Knowledge is power.
8. Lie on the Earth and listen to her sing. Sing with her.
9. Provide a living legacy for future generations by planting a tree in a damaged ecosystem. Every dollar plants a tree at American Forests .
10. Fight hunger with your garden this summer. Plant a Row for the Hungry encourages gardeners to plant extra and donate the produce to local food banks and soup kitchens, which rarely receive adequate fresh food.
May we all walk in beauty.
May the Divine Plan of the Earth unfold quickly and in peace.