I have severe GERD and just found out that I'm pregnant (4 weeks, 5 days). When I decided to try to conceive I asked my physician to switch me from Nexium to Protonix because Protonix is a category B drug while Nexium is a category C. Should I stop taking the Protonix and deal with the severe GERD or should I continue taking the medication? My OB/GYN says it's ok but my husband is worried. I just worrry about esphogeal cancer.
I have GERD and was on Protonix when I got pregnant. The OB suggested trying Pepcid Complete over the counter first before staying on the Protonix. The only time I noticed the GERD was the morning I delivered my daughter and we figure the acid was heavy due to stress. The doctor did say the Protonix would have been safe if i needed it, but the idea of taking it made me worry.
NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice,
diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your
physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere.
If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.