Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:

I'm pregnant - what if I need to see a doctor while I'm away?

Posted by Be Well

I'm pregnant - what if I need to see a doctor while I'm away?
Answers (1)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first

Before you travel, check the availability and standards of medical facilities at your destination. It is worth remembering that the medical staff may not speak English very well. Make sure they are aware you are pregnant. If you go into labor while you are away you may need a blood transfusion, therefore it is advisable to check if the country you are traveling to routinely screens blood donations for HIV and Hepatitis B.

Watch for and report any symptoms such as:

  • abdominal pain or tightenings,
  • persistent or severe headaches,
  • vomiting,
  • visual disturbances such as blurring or flashing lights before the eyes,
  • sudden swelling of face/ankles/wrists/fingers,
  • back pain, or
  • vaginal bleeding.
NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Post an answer
Write a comment: