Good Food Friday: Sarah Britton’s Minty Black Bean Salad
Posted Aug 16 2013 10:09pm
bymnfadminon August 16, 2013
This looks AMAZING. My good foodie friend Sarah Britton is back with another amazing creation! And stay tuned, I'll be chatting more with this beauty in the following weeks – we must catch up on her growing bump!
Until then – enjoy this one. It's full of great fertility boosters like radish (hello sperm) and beans (protein factor.. tick!). Super easy and will have your ovaries happy!
Minty Black Bean Salad for a Crowd
9 cups (1.3kg) dried black beans, soaked overnight (or 8 hours)
1 ½ cups (275g) quinoa, soaked overnight (or 8 hours)
2 large fennel bulbs
1 head radicchio
1 bunch radishes
2 bunches green onions
3 bunches mint
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
a few handfuls sprouts (I used sunflower)
juice of 2 lemons
juice of 3 limes
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp. fine grain sea salt
½ cup cold-pressed olive oil
2 Tbsp. maple syrup (or liquid honey)
a couple pinches cayenne pepper
1. Place the black beans and quinoa is separate bowls and cover with plenty of water. Let soak for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
2. Drain and rinse both beans and quinoa well. Place beans in a large pot, cover with water, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer with the lid on for about 40 minutes. Add three tablespoons of salt and continue to cook until soft (but not mushy!) – another 10 minutes or so. Drain and rinse well. Let cool.
3. Place quinoa in a pot, add 2 ½ cups water and a teaspoons of salt. With the lid on, bring to the boil and reduce to simmer. Cook until tender, 15 minutes or so. Set aside with the lid off to let cool.
4. Make the dressing by placing all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake to combine.
5. Prepare the vegetables. Begin by slicing the fennel bulb into very thin strips (a mandoline may help). Place fennel in a large serving vessel, pour a little of the dressing over, and toss to marinate (this also prevents browning). Add thinly sliced radish and green onions, toss to coat. Next add the cooled black beans and quinoa and pour the remaining dressing on top. Fold to combine. Let sit for 20-30 minutes to marinate.
6. Chop the herbs and radicchio, and add to the salad. Fold to incorporate. Season to taste. Sprinkle sprouts on top if desired, and serve to a hungry crowd.