Detectives are investigating a fire in Greenfield Pennsylvania that killed a individual with multiple sclerosis. The news has been reporting that the man was found in his wheelchair approximately 6 feet from the door. The fire reportedly did minimal to moderate damage to the home and that smoke inhalation was responsible for his death.
As an individual who uses a wheelchair for my mobility I'm always conscious of the possibility of fire. I have spoken with several of my friends regarding the fear of fire and our consensus is we all try to minimize the risk as best we can. We do not have candles or any open flames, outlets are not overloaded and smoke detectors are up-to-date.
I am fortunate that I have a computer system that I can call 911 by voice from anywhere in the house. With limited mobility I take personal safety very seriously. Along with reporting this tragedy all of the mainstream media continue to throw person centered language out the window. I have heard "confined to a wheelchair" about seven times this morning. If anyone from wtae or kdka is reading this I would be happy to conduct a free seminar in people first language to any of your newscasters or writers.