Health knowledge made personal
Physical & Mental Disabilities Community
Join this community!
› Share page:
+ Add Blog to My Feeds
› View Profile
› Send a message
› Write on Whiteboard
More from this Member
The Enough House
When overnight camp eludes you
'He gets to do whatever he wants'
‘Graduation is perhaps the saddest day in their lives’
What makes my son 'enough'?
» View All
Don't forget to sign up for summer camp!
Posted Jan 28 2011 12:16pm
We just printed this poster with tips on how to look for summer camps for children with disabilities in Ontario. Because these camps fill up so quickly, it's important to do your search now! Here's the copy below. Louise
• Start early – many camps fill up by February
• Use the
camp search engine
• Attend a local camp fair, such as the
• Ask friends/family for ideas
• Check brochures in Holland Bloorview's Family Resource Centre or at your community centre.
• Ask your child about their interests
• Read camp brochures together
• Does your child want to
Do new activities
• Will the camp support your child’s interests and special needs?
• Call the camp director or integration specialist to discuss your child’s needs
• Many camps and community centres have inclusion policies
• The camp may help arrange for a 1:1 support worker for your child, or you can hire a worker through the
• Speak to the camp director about staff experience with children with special needs, and staff-to-camper
• Some camps offer subsidies or can apply for funding on your behalf. Speak to the camp director
• Municipal parks and recreation departments offer camp subsidies for children in financial need
• Funding sources are listed in our Family Resource Centre or talk to your social worker.
• Check deadlines
• Ask to visit the camp, or to have staff meet your child at home
• Submit your application, including emergency contacts and all information that will help staff
better understand your child.
Post a comment
Write a comment:
don’t forget to protect your skin from the summer sun
Don’t Forget To Enter The Jane Iredale Summer Giveaway!
Healthy summer slow cooker recipes from the Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook
Summer Workout Tips: Don't Leave Exercise Behind!
Start Planning Now to Protect Your Kids from the Dual ‘Summer Slide’
Exercise And Eat Right During Summer Travel
my favorite summer things, part iii
Summer AWESOME Series
Summer Salads: Three Bean
WIAW & Let’s Forget About the Fact That…
About Health Mavens
double vision causes
mthfr gene mutation
blurry eye vision
blurred vision one eye
blurred vision causes
Video Health Stories
Advertise With Us
See all the
latest blog posts.
Salmonella Nutrition Bars
Children Staph Infection
How to Reduce LDL
Life Expectancy Emphysema
Itchy Swollen Eyelids
Bone Density Medications
Causes of Swelling
Pregnancy Brown Discharge
Sore Neck Glands
Itchy Rash on Arms
Itchy Throat Cough
Pinched Nerve Neck Symptoms
Burning Sensation During Urination
Blood Clots During Period
Swollen Lymph Node Armpit
Causes of Lump
Causes of Itching
Swollen Lymph Nodes Groin
Signs of Pregnancy Before Missed Period
Causes of Rash
Coughing Up Phlegm
Enlarged Groin Lymph Nodes
Early Pregnancy Brown Discharge
Gillian Barre Syndrome
Sore Throat Body Aches
Symptoms of Swelling
Side Effects of Flu Shot
Find a Counselor
Wellsphere does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
See additional information.
Copyright © 2013 Remedy Health Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.