Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Go
Search posts:

Symptoms and Signs in Dogs of Pesticide Poisoning

Posted Jan 15 2013 3:50am

While we all want our dogs to be free of ticks and fleas, the insecticides used to battle the problem can often be too much for a dog to bear. Heavy exposure to these chemicals can be dangerous for all types of dogs of any size. Over exposure to the carbamates and organophosphates that are seen in most tick and flea products can be extremely toxic to canines.

Symptoms most commonly seen in dogs that have been poisoned by insecticides include the following:

  • Seizures
  • Quickened heart rate
  • Trouble breathing or walking
  • Muscle tremors
  • Diarrhea
  • Depression
  • Vomiting
  • Fever
  • Lack of appetite
  • Increased salivation

Dogs can also be poisoned by common pesticides used in gardening or around the home to control pests. Using toxic chemical for pest control in the home can be a problem for dogs especially the types that love to lick everything that comes in front of them.

If you need to employ the services of a professional company for pest control find out first if they have non-toxic products that can be used to get the job done effectively. Most companies have products at their disposal that are pet-friendly.

Treatment for pesticide poisoning in dogs

The first thing you need to do when you suspect that your dog may have come in contact with toxic chemicals is to call your veterinarian. He will let you know whether there are any in-home treatments that should be carried out before transporting your dog to the clinic. If you know what type of poisoning your dog has been subjected to, let the vet know right away so that he knows the exact types of toxins he will be dealing with.

Once your dog arrives the vet may induce vomiting, clean out his stomach using a tube to flush it out and then administer charcoal to neutralize any of the toxins that are remaining. He may also put your dog on intravenous to replenish his fluid levels and administer oxygen if the dog has experienced any breathing difficulties.

It is important to handle any suspected case of accidental poisoning quickly in a dog since it may mean the difference between life and death. The sooner you act when noticing a change in your dog's appearance or health after he has been exposed to any type of toxic insecticides or pesticides, the better the prognosis will be for his recovery.

Jessica Josh is a professional freelancer who writes aboutPest Controlfor local companies such asAdvanced Pest Management
 

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches