Healthy Pet Food Diet Tips – Help Your Overweight Pet Live Longer
Posted Dec 01 2009 10:00pm
We all love our pets and want them to live a long a happy life for as long as possible. In order to do this, you will have to maintain the health of your pet.
One of the best ways to do this is to ensure that your pet doesn’t become overweight. Obesity affects animals the same way it affects humans. If you have an overweight animal on your hands, you will need to know how to help your pet lose weight so that he can live longer.
The following tips will help you to slim down a pet that is already overweight. These tips can also be used to maintain their weight once it is controlled.
1) Start by offering your pet healthy pet food. Feeding your dog table scraps may make the animal happy, but it will not help you balance their food better. Pet stores are always advertising healthy pet food from companies like Purina, Pedigree and Alpo etc. but always do your research before feeding your animal a new food.
2) Do not give your pet treats just for being there. They are like junk food for your pet and like humans, too much junk food can cause your pet to become or stay overweight.
3) Exercise your pet every day. This may seem obvious but many pet owner either don’t have the time to take their pets for walks or simply don’t have the open space for it. Other owners don’t feel that indoor animals need it. That is not the case. There are exercise item like playpens, running wheels etc. for indoor pets. Letting your pet exercise will make him more playful with you, friendlier as well as healthier.
4) Keep track of the calories your animal eats. Talk to your vet about how many calories your specific animal needs as different breeds and species require a different caloric intake per day.
5) Check pet food ingredients. Just like with human foods, pets are also exposed to ingredients that do more harm than good. You will want foods that are high in vitamins and proteins but low on fat.
These small changes in your pet diet can ensure that you have years with your pet. Pets don’t get to be overweight without the help of their owners. They can easily pick up our habits. Getting active with your pet and watching his eating habits can be good for the both of you.
The tips here will help you slim down your pet as well as give you peace of mind. In the end, you and your pet will get countless hours of fun time together, and obesity related illnesses that your pet may have picked up along the way will be a thing of the past.