Hazmat team called in after cat breaks thermometer
Posted Jan 22 2009 4:00pm
A mischevious cat in Massachusetts broke a thermometer sitting on a counter on Sunday. The cat's owner, fearing the thermometer contained mercury (which is highly toxic), called 911. Fire Lt. Jack McDonald notified the region's Tier One hazerdous materials (hazmat) team to investigate.
Three hours later, the hazmat team was sent back home after finding no evidence of mercury. Just goes to show you that while curiosity doesn't always kill the cat, it can sometimes cost taxpayer money instead.