Here’s the first post by the newest blogger for PetsitUSA, Lori!
HANUKKAH SAFETY FOR YOU AND PETS WHILE LIGHTING THE
MENORAH… MAY THE FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS BRING YOUR FAMILY
TOGETHER FOR MANY HAPPY MEMORIES.
To everyone celebrating Hanukkah… please be extremely careful when
lighting Hanukkah candles, and follow these tips to help ensure your
• Be certain your Menorah is well-balanced, sitting on a
non-flammable tray or plate, large enough to catch a candle
if one should fall, and on a flat, level surface with each
candle in securely.
• Remove any plastic wrapping from the candles before lighting them.
• Keep the Menorah away from curtains, hanging decorations, papers, or
any other flammable objects.
• Place the Menorah higher than your doggie may jump and away from
where your kitty’s paw may reach the flame!!! I highly recommend
keeping it out of their sight, preferably in a room where your pets
have no access, but you can still see the candles.
• Turn off ceiling fans before lighting the candles, and keep them off until
all have burned out.
• Always run the matches under water to be certain they are out
before discarding them in the trash. I typically leave the
matches in the sink or on the plate under the Menorah until
the candles burn out.
• Do not put the Menorah in an enclosed area while candles are burning or
after they’ve gone out. They may still be hot and flammable.
• A spinning Dreidel may peak your pet’s interest. Most Dreidels are quite
small and pose a choking hazard to your pet and possible blockage
or obstruction if swallowed.
• Chocolate Hanukkah Gelt – the enticing smell, shiny gold wrapping,
small size, and simple fact that it’s chocolate, all pose a risk to your
• Curling ribbon, bows, handles on gift bags all pose threats
of strangulation and may wrap around your pet’s intestines if
swallowed; never pull on a string or material hanging out of your pet’s
mouth or anus. Seek immediate veterinary care!
• Take this opportunity to change your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide
monitor batteries if you haven’t done so yet.
May each night of Hanukkah be brighter, every day you find reason to
laugh, your home filled with peace, and your face wet from doggie licks and
Have a warm and wonderful Hanukkah!!!
Helping to keep beloved furry babies healthy and pet parents informed!