Everybody knows that fruits are essential to any healthy lifestyle- they are low in calories and packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Wellspring Camps the leading weight loss organization for young adults and families across the U.S. has come up with recipes to help you and your family gets your daily dose of fruit. So head out to those farmer’s markets and fruit stands and purchase the season’s freshest ingredients to create these healthy and delicious summer eats.
Ginger Pineapple Chicken Stir Fry with Snow Peas: Pineapple helps burn fat, reduce cellulite, and it has detoxifying and purifying properties. Pineapple boosts tons of flavor into this recipe that only has 243 Calories and 3.68 grams of fat per serving.
Roasted Cod Fillet with a Blueberry & Black Cherry Salsa: The blueberry and cherry season are short so find the best tasting berries now! Blueberries help with digestion; they contain excellent antioxidants that help reduce bad cholesterol and they stimulate visual perception.
Blackberries are a revitalizing fruit that aid kidney function. This refreshing fruit combo recipe is only 190 calories and 1.75 grams of fat.
Strawberry Cantaloupe Soup: Strawberries are rich in vitamin C and will keep your immune system strong. Melon is the perfect fruit to quench your summer thirst and it helps your skin maintain moisture. This delightful summer treat contains 146 calories and .4 grams of fat.
Keeping your family healthy and happy is important, and at Wellspring Camps they make it easy to include the season’s luscious fruit into satisfying meals. This July, try these low-fat and fruity recipes, or visit the Wellspring website for more family friendly recipes!
Ginger Pineapple Chicken Stir Fry with Snow Peas – Servings (4)
1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast
1 red bell pepper
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
2 cups fresh snow peas
3/4 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
1 red onion roug chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
½ cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. Spray non-stick frying pan with a non-fat cooking spray. add to pan sesame seeds, chopped garlic, and chicken strips. saute for two minutes.
2. Add red pepper, onion, ginger, and mushrooms. continue to saute for 1 minute.
3. Add soy sauce, pineapple, red pepper flakes, and snow peas; cover and let cook for 1 minute.
4. Uncover and stir until chicken and vegetables are covered with sauce and chicken is fully cooked.
Roasted Cod Fillet with a Blueberry & Black Cherry Salsa- Servings – (4)
4 – 4 oz. Atlantic cod fillets
1 pint fresh blueberries
1 black cherries, pits removed & quartered
2 tablespoons diced red onion
½ cup raspberry vinegar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
1 medium yellow tomato diced
1 medium orange bell pepper diced
4 slices of lemon
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. To make salsa, combine sugar and vinegar in a bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved. in a separate bowl add blueberries, black cherries, red onion, yellow tomato, orange pepper basil, salt, and black pepper. Pour sweetened vinegar in bowl and allow to marinate for thirty minutes.
2. Next preheat oven to 400 degrees. arrange fish on a nonstick baking sheet and place a slice of lemon on each fillet. Roast for 12 – 15 minutes or until done.
3. Remove lemon slices, top with salsa, and serve.
21.23 grams Protein
1.75 grams Fat
Strawberry Cantaloupe Soup – Servings – (4)
1 medium cantaloupe
1 pint strawberries
1 cup skim milk
1 cup fat free plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon fresh chopped mint
Peel cantaloupe and cut in half. Remove seeds and cut in chunks. In a blender or food processor add cantaloupe, strawberries, skim milk, fat free yogurt, sugar, and vanilla. Blend on medium high for about two minutes or until consistency is smooth. Remove soup from blender or processor and pour into a bowl. Next add cinnamon and chopped mint. whisk in until evenly throughout the soup. Cover and place in refrigerator for one to two hours. Serve chilled.
Calories – 146 .25
Protein – 6 . 48 grams
Fat – 0.4 grams